Stolen Mac: any tips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NikkiJayne, Jan 17, 2014.

1. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

In December my rMBP was stolen. I have a new one now on insurance so no problems there.

I've set it up to remotely wipe if it's ever connected to the internet but so far, nothing. I was just thinking: is there a way to unregister it from my account? Since I have keychain activated and things like credit card numbers are stored (I cancelled my old cards just in case but now I'm using a new card and those details are stored too). I just don't really want anyone getting hold of any information, even though most of it wouldn't be very useful to them. Any tips?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Doesnt keychain run off your icloud account? I would think changing your icloud password would do the trick. Since your old Mac wont be able to connect to your icloud account and sync anything.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I think OSX-managed sensitive information (like credit card number and passwords) are encrypted when stored locally.

On the new rMBP I would install an anti-theft solution like Orbicule's Undercover and enable Guest or maybe a "phishing" account, enable iCloud account (this I think you already did) and enable firmware password (Command+R right after power on) so the system will ask for password when someone tries doing a new OS installation.