Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rmpaul211

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Hello all

I have a question and maybe someone can stir me in the right direction.

My rMbp and iPad was stolen last week. I activated the find my iPhone on both and I locked both from my phone. My laptop keeps being turned every few days and turned and back off so I get different locations. But I'm wondering if they can some how unlock my laptop and wipe it or wipe it and use it. Or does that find my phone lock bar them from using it period?

Reactions: rpage935

dieselgg

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
I understand that, what I'm asking is with my laptop being remotely locked can they wipe it clean and then start using it? Or is it not capable of being used while that lock is on. Because I'm hoping to get it back

Once your computer is locked, the only way for someone to wipe clean your hard drive is to remove it, connect it to another computer and then erase it that way.

Once you enable remote lock your computer will shut down. Next time someone attempts to start up the Mac, it will boot into recovery mode and ask for the passcode; if you opted to display a message, that message will also appear on the same screen. Once you’ve entered the correct passcode, the Mac will reboot normally.

A new feature in the iOS tracking app, if your laptop or tablet is erased, it will still be able to track your devices.

Give Apple tech support a call or call a store to get further advice.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I understand that, what I'm asking is with my laptop being remotely locked can they wipe it clean and then start using it? Or is it not capable of being used while that lock is on. Because I'm hoping to get it back
No they cannot. Even if someone removes the drive and erases it on another Mac, as soon as they put it back in your Mac the firmware lock will stop them from doing anything with it.

There are some skeevy sites advertising a way to bypass this lock though and I have read of varying degrees of success with this bypass.

Reactions: Queen6

Rmpaul211

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Once your computer is locked, the only way for someone to wipe clean your hard drive is to remove it, connect it to another computer and then erase it that way.

Once you enable remote lock your computer will shut down. Next time someone attempts to start up the Mac, it will boot into recovery mode and ask for the passcode; if you opted to display a message, that message will also appear on the same screen. Once you’ve entered the correct passcode, the Mac will reboot normally.

A new feature in the iOS tracking app, if your laptop or tablet is erased, it will still be able to track your devices.

Give Apple tech support a call or call a store to get further advice.

thank you, i have bought another one. I'm just pissed that i won't be getting it back. especially sense they cant use it. i tried to unlock and relock it so i can offer a return fee for my items. I'm just hoping if they try to pawn it my serial number will be red flagged and i can get my items back
[doublepost=1466298831][/doublepost]
No they cannot. Even if someone removes the drive and erases it on another Mac, as soon as they put it back in your Mac the firmware lock will stop them from doing anything with it.

There are some skeevy sites advertising a way to bypass this lock though and I have read of varying degrees of success with this bypass.
I'm happy about that

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
When a Mac that has been locked with a firmware password is stolen, what generally happens to it?

Will the thief pretty much just toss it out, since it won't boot?

If he tries to fence it, will a pawnshop accept it?

I'm assuming that at least -some- of it can be "parted out"?

Is it only the motherboard that remains "locked down"?

Just wonderin' ...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When a Mac that has been locked with a firmware password is stolen, what generally happens to it?

Just wonderin' ...
It is pretty much a boat anchor with that firmware lock and near worthless to a pawn shop (assuming the pawn broker knows enough to see this for what it is). The only thing I can think of you could part out would be the drive, but you would need to put it in an enclosure to erase it to get rid of the lock.

I guess maybe the topcase with the glued together battery could be sold also.

My thought is a casual thief with run up against the firmware lock then toss it in the trash.

Reactions: Mcmeowmers

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The firmware should prevent a low tech thief from gaining anything however it is possible to bypass if you are sophisticated. Not many people would be able to accomplish this. As others have said call apple and your local police and be sure to have some serial numbers to report!
[doublepost=1466352648][/doublepost]

Just wonderin' ...

When the thief opens the mac or turns it on and it connects to an internet point it will lock. The thief might try searching ways to reset the device but I have low faith in a thief's ability to figure this out.
One could definitely take the mac apart and sell it's components. The drive should be sellable once it is wiped... I think the logic board will be worthless. Ram modules can be sold etc..
The logic board could also be sold if someone wanted to extract components but as a single piece it should be worthless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.