Stolen Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by doc james, Apr 5, 2013.

1. doc james macrumors member

Because of the nature of the crime, I've been hesitant to post on a public forum but a few weeks ago my home (UK) was broken into. The thieves caused no damage, walked past many "liftable" items (including laptops) to steal my mac pro which was in a custom rack mount and weighs a tonne. They left the monitor, peripherals etc.

If I was criminal and IT savvy, I wouldn't plug it in before wiping the hard drives so I've little hope of it being traced. "find my mac" unsurprisingly doesn't turn it up.

BUT I've just had a phone call from the Police saying that Apple have it registered to a business address in East London, near the Olympic stadium under my name. They're going to investigate. I suspect it's somehow part of the UK import process - although it doesn't sound at all "Apple". Anyone recognise where I'm talking about?

Any other thoughts on less obvious lines the police should pursue gratefully received.

2. jonnyback macrumors member

Sorry to hear about this, what a weird crime. What do you mean by the UK import process?

3. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

4. doc james thread starter macrumors member

jonnyback - I'm glad I'm not alone in finding it difficult to comprehend! Sorry for being obtuse - by "import process", I recall that I phoned my order through (I had an NHS discount to apply that wouldn't work on the store) to a UK number then tracking code showed it came from America (I think) to Ireland (memory is vague) before a local Fedex depot to go out for collection. Is that right? Or is East London involved somehow?

Kissaragi - Quite. Though they walked past an unsecured Xserve RAID so they obviously knew their limits!

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

doc, this really sucks. I hope these bastards get theirs in the end.

6. doc james thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, it does! BUT at least my elderly neighbour thought it was me clattering around or someone might have got hurt too....

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

yeah definitely not worth someone getting hurt, thats for sure. Again, I hope these guys get caught. Will your homeowners insurance cover it?

8. doc james thread starter macrumors member

Yes, my home insurance has covered it. For those in the UK, I cannot recommend Marks&Spencer highly enough - they have been very good indeed.

9. 92jlee macrumors 6502

Sorry for your loss, I hope you didn't loose any irreplaceable data.

Just out of curiosity, what did your insurers replace your Mac Pro with now that it isn't sold in the UK anymore?