Stolen Mac Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CoachCronk, Apr 6, 2010.

1. CoachCronk macrumors newbie

I purchased a macbook G4 a few months ago from an aquiantance, wasnt pleased with its performance, and resold it just over a month ago...
    I recently received a call from what turned out to be the original owner stating that I had sold his stolen mac to a gentleman that subsequently contacted him via email in an attempt to get the computers password.
    When I purchased the Mac, I was assured that it was the sellers and not stolen, now I am being threatened by the actual owner and being told that I have to give the person I sold the Mac back his money so it can be returned to the original owner... this would put me out the money I paid for it!
    Am I responsible for Mac, even though I was unaware that it was stolen, and ultimately sold what was stolen property?
    Wouldn't the person in posession of the property be liable, or at least just as liable as I am?

Im just looking to do the right thing... and I am unable to contact the person I purchased it from. I am in no position financial to pay back the buyer at this point.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Honestly, this sounds like someone is trying to scam you.

3. CoachCronk thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah!

Good point.. I never considered that angle.

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

yah, definitely someone trying to run a dumb con and get some cash out of you. If it was stolen though here's what you do:

Keep the record of who you got it from and provide that to the police if they should become involved, and keep the records of who you sold it to so that the authorities can track the machine.

if it wasn't stolen:

Communicate with the accuser that the police are going to get involved with the matter from your end to call their bluff and see if the harassment stops, if not get the police involved raise the stakes.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

any of these people shown you their receipt for the original purchase and a copy of the police report from when they reported it stolen?

I wouldn't just take their word for any of this. Make sure you get some satisfactory documentation before you decide what to do

6. rpang macrumors member

If it was stolen, how did your buyer obtain the original owners information?

If the laptop was stolen, then it wouldnt be him calling you, it would be the police at your door to try to reclaim the property.

7. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

The law protects third parties, which is you. You will be fine.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Exactly. You have 4 potential people involved.

Owner
    Crook/Seller to You
    You the Buyer/Seller
    Buyer from You

How is the Owner going to get all the way to the Buyer from You OP? Sounds fishy.

Also, if you used it, why is the current purchaser trying to get the password from the owner and not you? How would he get ahold of the original owner to begin with?

Sounds like the buyer wants his money back and the computer and a friend is helping him.

9. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Just out of curiosity, why did the current owner contact somebody else for the password and not you? And why was the original owner's information still on the computer? And if it wasn't then how did the current owner get it?