Stolen MAC - replace or go PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by okayjustin, Nov 15, 2008.

1. okayjustin macrumors member

My blackbook was stolen because right before a show my band didn't load it up. They loaded everything but the laptop on the ground. Who knows why, we weren't drunk or high (yet). Then it was left there, whatever you wanna call that.

Anyway that 1400 investment is now gone. I was looking into getting a cheaper PC. This is because I saw a couple of PCs with somewhere like 320GB HD, 3GB ram, backlit keyboard, etc for a cheaper price than under $1200 (one of them was a Gateway with those similar specs).

I'm a college student. I don't do much except word processing, surfing the web, maybe excel once in awhile and powerpoint. But I do make music and I do love using GarageBand and I also have logic 8.

Do I get another MacBook? Do I make the switch to PC? I wanted a bigger screen and I didn't want to shell out another 800-1000 for another macbook something I already have - maybe a MBP (older ones)? I mean I was thinking Vista can't be that bad .. haha what do you guys think overall?

2. ex0dus macrumors newbie

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Leaving it somewhere doesn't mean that it was stolen.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well, if you really love Garageband and Logic Pro, then I guess you can't get a PC.

Refurbed Macbooks start at $799, so you can easily get a Macbook that suits your need, and price point.

6. yoppie macrumors 6502a

+1... I was thinking the same thing.

On topic - I would personally try and go for another mac but I wouldn't have had to ask this question. Since you did, I think you would be ok with a Windows machine. Nothing wrong with that by the way.

Go with what you can afford.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I was able to pic up a whitebook 2.0ghz. 320gb hdd, 4 gb ram on the boards for $525. I am sure a deal will pop up that is better than going PC.

8. matt1219 macrumors regular

Honestly, I was going through the same deciding process you are. PCs can get so much more for less than Macs. I would say go with a PC for the money. GarageBand and Logic can be easily replaced. I would recommend a Dell Studio Laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800. 4 GB of RAM, 320 GB of HD, and a 15.4" widescreen for only $850. If you really want to keep a Mac, then go for a Refurb Blackbook.

9. Tyndale13 macrumors newbie

Vista....

I would assume that the new PC would run Vista. That would be enough IMHO to make me fork out the extra $ for the Mac. I have to work all day on PC's and when I get home, it's so nice to not have to "fix" anything on my Macs. The constant "fixing" of PCs gets really old.