Stolen MacBook - changed Find My iPhone password - screwed?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by writerprod, Jan 16, 2013.

1. writerprod, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

writerprod macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

My MacBook Pro got stolen from under my feet....

The MacBook has been set up with Find My iPhone. But:

1. I forgot my Find My iPhone password so I reset it on my iPhone after my laptop has been stolen. Has this completely messed up the chance of locating my MacBook once it is connected to the internet because of password change?

2. Currently when I log into iCloud on a browser or on my iPhone the Macbook is offline and it doesn't show a map of its last known location. Is this normal?

3. I keep getting logged out of the app on the iPhone - is it still active to notify me via sound even if I am logged out?

4. Should I instruct via iCloud for my Mac to be Erased? If so will this also disable the Find My iPhone function ?I am a bit confused about what Apple Support has to say:

After you erase the information on an iOS device, you won’t be able to use Find My iPhone to locate it or play a sound. You may still be able to use Find My iPhone to locate your Mac after you erase it.

5. I know a savvy thief can easily bypass my user account password which I set up and access all my files and folders (right?) but can they also DISABLE Find My iPhone?

Thanks guys for any help! Just want to know if the password change has compromised everything.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Find my Phone/Find my Mac is part of iCloud and part of the iCloud login. So if you changed the iCloud password, I have to assume your stolen MBP is not going to be able to login to iCloud and activate Find my Mac the next time it hits the Internet.

Aside from this, all the thief would need to do is login to your account and turn off iCloud to disable Find my Mac.

Little late for this machine, but when you get the new one you should consider turning on Filevault2 and and EFI boot password. That combined with Find my Mac is the best you can do and nobody will be able to break into your machine is they steal it.

3. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

Can you tell me more bout this EFI boot thing please i'm curious

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a link from Apple that explains more, but it basically makes locks down your machine so nobody can boot from an external drive to try and crack your password.

If you have Lion or Mountain Lion, just do a command-r boot to recovery and you will see the EFI password option in the Utilities menu.

Without an EFI password, all a thief has to to is boot to your recovery partition with command-r and run the admin password reset utility and they are in.

5. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just make sure you remember what the PW is! If you forget it, the only way to unlock it is to go to an Apple Store and they can do it after you prove you own the machine. :)

7. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

So, you couldn't remember your FMi password, yet it should have been your iCloud password. So, if you couldn't remember it, how long has it been since you downloaded an app onto your iPhone? Since it would have asked for the same password.

Sorry to hear that your Mac was stolen, I know it must suck. Here's something to consider for your next Mac: Undercover

8. Yujenisis macrumors 6502