Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
Hi Guys,

Hope you don’t mind me posting here. I had a Silver MacBook Pro 16” 2021 stolen from me along with my passport, hard drives with work and numerous other invaluable items while transiting through Hamburg on my way to Copenhagen last week. Unfortunately was one of those situations you think will never happen to you until it does.

I wanted to share on here to put the serial number online on the slim chance somebody may see this.

DYX7L4HW0M

It has been a real ordeal as I am an Australian photographer travelling on an assignment and now currently stranded without any of my equipment or passport so desperately doing everything in my power to get it back or at least have the option to buy it back somehow.

I had Find My activated and it stayed in the same spot where it was taken. A few days ago it appeared on a street in the Ukraine which seems to be a market so the location has updated but the lost mode still seems to be pending is that normal? I’m praying that it will still be locked somehow.

I know it’s a long shot but would desperately do anything for its safe return.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
Hi Guys,

Hope you don’t mind me posting here. I had a Silver MacBook Pro 16” 2021 stolen from me along with my passport, hard drives with work and numerous other invaluable items while transiting through Hamburg on my way to Copenhagen last week. Unfortunately was one of those situations you think will never happen to you until it does.

I wanted to share on here to put the serial number online on the slim chance somebody may see this.

DYX7L4HW0M

It has been a real ordeal as I am an Australian photographer travelling on an assignment and now currently stranded without any of my equipment or passport so desperately doing everything in my power to get it back or at least have the option to buy it back somehow.

I had Find My activated and it stayed in the same spot where it was taken. A few days ago it appeared on a street in the Ukraine which seems to be a market so the location has updated but the lost mode still seems to be pending is that normal? I’m praying that it will still be locked somehow.

I know it’s a long shot but would desperately do anything for its safe return.

this is horrible. Did you have Vault turned on? I believe they can only be able to strip it down for parts as a locked Macbook Pro is essentially useless.

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
this is horrible. Did you have Vault turned on? I believe they can only be able to strip it down for parts as a locked Macbook Pro is essentially useless.
I can’t remember unfortunately. I have a feeling it was automatically on 🙏🙏

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I can’t remember unfortunately. I have a feeling it was automatically on 🙏🙏
If you never disabled it, on modern Macs it's automatically on by default. In fact, the Secure Enclave always encrypts even if it doesn't encrypt with an actual password but just a blank dud (when you have it disabled)

The Lost Mode should activate when the computer is opened and attempted to connect to internet. They won't be able to wipe it or anything without your password even if they never connect it to the internet. Apple has done a lot to make Stolen Macs less attractive by making them hard to make use of. I doubt you'll ever get it back and you probably have to just write it off as a loss, hope some insurance covers the financial cost. But at the very least the thieves won't get much out of it. Or in a more pessimistic perspective, the thieves already have and the poor bugger they sold it to will be SOL. In any case, your personal data on the machine itself should be fairly safe. The external drives may be compromised data wise depending on their encryption status

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
If you never disabled it, on modern Macs it's automatically on by default. In fact, the Secure Enclave always encrypts even if it doesn't encrypt with an actual password but just a blank dud (when you have it disabled)

The Lost Mode should activate when the computer is opened and attempted to connect to internet. They won't be able to wipe it or anything without your password even if they never connect it to the internet. Apple has done a lot to make Stolen Macs less attractive by making them hard to make use of. I doubt you'll ever get it back and you probably have to just write it off as a loss, hope some insurance covers the financial cost. But at the very least the thieves won't get much out of it. Or in a more pessimistic perspective, the thieves already have and the poor bugger they sold it to will be SOL. In any case, your personal data on the machine itself should be fairly safe. The external drives may be compromised data wise depending on their encryption status
Thanks for your reply. That is good to know. Would it have to of connected to the internet to show me the last location? That’s why I was confused that the lock still says pending.
I’ve monitored every marketplace and it still doesn’t seem to have appeared anywhere. I have someone hopefully going to look at where it’s saying it was as a last resort

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks for your reply. That is good to know. Would it have to of connected to the internet to show me the last location? That’s why I was confused that the lock still says pending.
I’ve monitored every marketplace and it still doesn’t seem to have appeared anywhere. I have someone hopefully going to look at where it’s saying it was as a last resort
Not necessarily, no. Apple's Find My system is a network on its own. If the device is within range of another Apple device, they can anonymously connect and update location without having access to the internet

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
Hi All. Just a few questions on this if somebody doesn’t mind. Is it possible to get into the computer or restore it if they don’t connect to the internet and my “Lost Mode” stays on pending?

Also whoever stole it tried to hack my iCloud via phishing a few days later on SMS followed by WhatsApp messages which to my knowledge was unsuccessful. If they did somehow gain access to the computer would it remove under my devices or the computer name change? It is still listed as my device and the name hasn’t changed so hoping they haven’t gained access.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Frankly, if it has ended up in the Ukraine, I don't think you're going to be seeing it again.
Nor are you going to see the data on it again (unless it was backed up).

Best to take whatever actions are required to secure your identity, etc.
And then get a replacement.

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
Frankly, if it has ended up in the Ukraine, I don't think you're going to be seeing it again.
Nor are you going to see the data on it again (unless it was backed up).

Best to take whatever actions are required to secure your identity, etc.
And then get a replacement.
That wasn’t what I was asking but thank you. I’ve taken all identity steps and have had a lead on the computer so just wanted to be across the iCloud situation.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Hi All. Just a few questions on this if somebody doesn’t mind. Is it possible to get into the computer or restore it if they don’t connect to the internet and my “Lost Mode” stays on pending?

Also whoever stole it tried to hack my iCloud via phishing a few days later on SMS followed by WhatsApp messages which to my knowledge was unsuccessful. If they did somehow gain access to the computer would it remove under my devices or the computer name change? It is still listed as my device and the name hasn’t changed so hoping they haven’t gained access.

They'd need your iCloud password to Turn off Find My or remove your iCloud account from the machine. How'd they try to phish you?

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
They'd need your iCloud password to Turn off Find My or remove your iCloud account from the machine. How'd they try to phish you?

See attached. I didn’t enter any information fortunately

Attachments

• IMG_0027.png
    IMG_0027.png
    203.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0024.png
    IMG_0024.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0030.png
    IMG_0030.png
    415 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: kitKAC

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Yep I did. Lost still says pending though even though the location updated from
Germany to Ukraine

If they got your number to try and get your iCloud details, maybe Lost Mode has been activated after all, despite the status?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Again... I seriously doubt the OP is going to get the cooperation of "law enforcement" in Ukraine to assist in getting it back (considering the situation that country is in right now).

If it was still in Germany... perhaps.
But Ukraine? Furgheddaboutit.

My opinion only
Others will disagree
Some will disagree vehemently

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
Again... I seriously doubt the OP is going to get the cooperation of "law enforcement" in Ukraine to assist in getting it back (considering the situation that country is in right now).

If it was still in Germany... perhaps.
But Ukraine? Furgheddaboutit.

My opinion only
Others will disagree
Some will disagree vehemently
I’m clearly aware of this and never did so mention law enforcement.

I have the computer returning after doing my own investigations.

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
As mentioned above the computer is on a plane back to me in an amazing twist of fate but I just wanted to clarify. The images I’ve seen of it have shown it stuck on the activate screen and it’s all in tact. Does this mean all my files should still be on it once it returns and I disable lost my computer on find my friends? There isn’t anyway the thieves could have factory reset it without the iCloud password?

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
Here is the screen it’s currently locked on that my friend sent me who has no idea about computers. I’m worried all my data has somehow been removed - is this what this screen means? Soon as it arrives back in my country I am going to take off lost mode from my phone and connect it to WIFI. Should that mean my existing user accounts will just appear? If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated. I am ecstatic I have been able to get it back but nervous about losing the contents of it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 3.06.06 am.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 3.06.06 am.png
    679.6 KB · Views: 92

17fox

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
Vienna, Austria
Here is the screen it’s currently locked on that my friend sent me who has no idea about computers. I’m worried all my data has somehow been removed - is this what this screen means? Soon as it arrives back in my country I am going to take off lost mode from my phone and connect it to WIFI. Should that mean my existing user accounts will just appear? If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated. I am ecstatic I have been able to get it back but nervous about losing the contents of it.

Your photo is quite unclear to understand something. Anyway, I highly doubt those guys could erase your Mac (unless you did via Find My) or do anything else to your personal data

Last edited by a moderator:

Luked1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
Your photo is quite unclear to understand something. Anyway, I highly doubt those guys could erase your Mac (unless you did via Find My) or do anything else to your personal data.
Thanks so much for your reply. Just an unfortunate reply but glad to be getting it back. It seems to be this same messaging (found online).

I never wiped it from my iCloud or anything like that so wasn’t sure whether they were able to work this message.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpeg
    IMG_1304.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 72

17fox

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
Vienna, Austria
Thanks so much for your reply. Just an unfortunate reply but glad to be getting it back. It seems to be this same messaging (found online).

I never wiped it from my iCloud or anything like that so wasn’t sure whether they were able to work this message.
Ah, okay. Well, as I said - I doubt that they could erase anything.

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
As mentioned above the computer is on a plane back to me in an amazing twist of fate but I just wanted to clarify. The images I’ve seen of it have shown it stuck on the activate screen and it’s all in tact. Does this mean all my files should still be on it once it returns and I disable lost my computer on find my friends? There isn’t anyway the thieves could have factory reset it without the iCloud password?
Yes. It should fine. But, if it were my computer, I would wipe the SSD and reload a fresh copy of the OS and then reinstall my data from a back up.

How did you get it back?

Reactions: Tdude96

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Your photo is quite unclear to understand something. Anyway, I highly doubt those guys could erase your Mac (unless you did via Find My) or do anything else to your personal data

IIRC, you can do a factory reset even with activation lock activated, you will still need the Apple ID and Password to activate the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.