Stolen MacBook Pro AppleCare

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aroseallen, Jul 30, 2012.

1. aroseallen macrumors newbie

aroseallen

Apple notified me today about an AppleCare service call, asking for my feedback. I did not call because my MacBook was stolen at an airport a few weeks ago. In my online support profile, I could see the thief called three times about my Mac, using my AppleCare plan. When I called AppleCare, they could not provide any information about this call to me. I feel they should have red flagged the serial number after I reported it stolen. I filed a police report, but they provided no further investigation. I feel that this is very unjust. I am a devoted apple customer, and feel That a stolen device should not go ignored. The policy is flawed. I'm very upset. It feels like salt being rubbed into the wound. :(

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

If the MBP was brought in-store and left for a repair, then I would definitely go that Genius Bar and show them proof it's mine. Further, why not just show/fax them the police report? It's not that hard to be firm about it. At the very least you would know the person, since I'm betting he had to change the Apple Care information to his so he get service, or may be not. If not, he now has your information that is entered in your AppleCare.

3. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

This sucks but then how would Apple know that you didn't recover back your stolen Mac and then sold it off to this new guy? Or the more plausible thing which is that the current "owner" of the computer is not the thief but someone who bought it off him on eBay?

4. wsr101 macrumors newbie

Appaulled - received an email to notify my that apple had re-registered my MacBook Pro to someone else (who has stolen it or obtained it through theft) and apple did not even prevent this. The laptop is mine as the previous registration, email to myself, box with serial no and my extensive record of repairs clearly demonstrate. Apple have fobbed me off since - asking me to get the police to contact them only to refuse to release information to the police (of course by this point I had made numerous lengthy calls on the basis of advice received) - presumably this is because they realised that they made a mistake by re-registering my laptop to someone else - luckily they emailed me to ask for feedback on this (again demonstrating that they were complicit in knowingly re-registering my laptop!)

Since then i have received conflicting advice on each time i have called apple. I am absolutely disgusted and will be spreading the word!

5. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't do much about stolen merchandise. Starting to with iPhones, but not much else :(

6. thehustleman macrumors 65816

What's the point of Apple care if they don't cover theft?

As expensive as it is it should

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No point.

No point in extended warrantee for in store and mail in repairs.

No point in extended replacement service.

No point in extended phone Tech Support.

Nope, no point at all...

:rolleyes: