Stolen Macbook Pro, how can i recover it??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chasezlegend, Sep 16, 2010.

1. chasezlegend macrumors newbie

My MBP has been stolen and i was wondering if there was any way that i could track it, i havent installed any tracking softwares like Undercover before it was stolen. Also is there a way i can make a virus that can go onto the stolen laptop and send me the IP address or Location??:confused:
    Thankyou

2. bamf macrumors 6502

This topic was done already today. Plenty of goodnadvice in that earlier thread.

3. chasezlegend thread starter macrumors newbie

i know however i was wondering if there was a way to make a virus that could give me the IP address therefore making it simple for me to track it down

4. bamf macrumors 6502

No. You'd have to know who had your machine (or be incredibly lucky) to get it on your machine.

5. chasezlegend thread starter macrumors newbie

couldnt i just send the viruse via email to them using my account already installed

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Chances are, they aren't going to check your email, and if they do, they aren't going to download something like that. I'd say unfortunately, it's probably a lost cause at this point.

7. bamf macrumors 6502

Do you know who has the laptop or not? I'm so confused by your story. I gave you good advice earlier on what to do. If you know who has the machine - get the police to get it back.

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Your story is confusing. I seen your thread earlier.

If you know the email address of the person who has your MBP then you obviously know who the person is that stole it so either go get it back yourself or get the police involved.:confused:

9. 40167 macrumors regular

You could do it, but they would need to check your email, they would need to open the message then open the attachment. At that point the OS will ask for your administrator password and the plan fails.

If you want the IP send them an email that they would likely reply to, tell them you'll give them like 5,000 bucks for the laptop... when the reply comes back the IP would be in the header information.

Though what you do after that point I'm not entirely sure, I'm thinking law enforcement won't do much when you come up saying "hey, this IP address has my stolen laptop".

10. chasezlegend thread starter macrumors newbie

no that wasnt what i had in mind if they send me an email then i found this website that you can find out where an email was sent from.

11. chasezlegend thread starter macrumors newbie

ok RoosMc it was my laptop and i had my email logged into the macs Mail system therefore if i send an email to myself it comes up there

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hey, man.

You're probably not going to find it.

Did you secure your computer with a password at login? Does your mail require a password? If either of those apply, the advasary won't be able to get the payload in the first place. More than likely, it's been scrubbed.

What I would do is just check for any pawn shops or any ebay and maybe see if they post a serial, this way you can utilize their personally identifiable information.

Otherwise i'm sorry for your loss bro. If you knew where it was, that'd be a different story. For your next laptop, I suggest you get statefarm's personal articles policy. $50 dollars/yr protects you against theft.

13. chasezlegend thread starter macrumors newbie

no i didnt have any passwords on it, only the administrator password but that doesnt come up unless u install something