Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaltun06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
Hi there everyone.

My macbook pro is stolen today from my room. My room was on the first floor. That is why after breaking the window It was easy to get it from desk.

It happened in University District Seattle WA on 30th of September 2009.

I regristered it online to apple.com 3 months ago the day I bought it. My everything was in it.

I did not have an insiurance for it.

I called police and they took a report and said If they get an answer (likely not) they would turn me back.

Do you have any advice about what to do?

Please let me know if you suspicious abot a laptop is trying to be sold.

Regards...

My email is: aaltun06<at>gmail<dot>com

Phone: 206 334 0410

It was:

MacBook Pro, 13", Aluminum
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
What I suggest you do is that look up your local kijiji/craiglist, and look up eBay for the same item getting sold from same area as yours.
Then, ask the seller that you're interested in the product, and request a serial number so you can check the AppleCare status or something. If it's your local kijiji/craiglist, then go meet him up and bring a police officer with you... if it's ebay, tell your police officer the details...
My friend caught the person who stole his ipod touch...(even harder to find...what a miracle) from the school library like this.... so hopefully it should help you too.

If you put a pw on your account or something, this will help you catch the burglar. If you didn't, he/she probably will erase stuff and use it for himself/herself.

But jeez, sorry for your loss and I hope you catch that ******.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
unfortunately there's little advice or action that can be recommend.

Its almost impossible to locate a "suspicious" sale. The thief could easily sell it on craigslist w/o causing any sort of suspicion.

Bummers :( did you have a lock on it?

aaltun06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
unfortunately there's little advice or action that can be recommend.

Its almost impossible to locate a "suspicious" sale. The thief could easily sell it on craigslist w/o causing any sort of suspicion.

Bummers :( did you have a lock on it?

No It was not locked.

Does it mean nothing can be done? They may delete everything on it.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
It's probably gone for good. At my job we install special software that "phones home" whenever a stolen computer is connected to the Internet. The software works, even wiping or replacing the drive won't remove it. Unfortunately all it can really tell us is that it's been reformatted and moved outside the country, usually to Mexico, at which point our insurance pays for the loss.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
It's probably gone for good. At my job we install special software that "phones home" whenever a stolen computer is connected to the Internet. The software works, even wiping or replacing the drive won't remove it. Unfortunately all it can really tell us is that it's been reformatted and moved outside the country, usually to Mexico, at which point our insurance pays for the loss.

And where can I get said software?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.