Stolen MacBook Pro w/ DropBox account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by batata, May 25, 2011.

1. batata macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was robbed yesterday and unfortunately had my 1 month-old MacBook Pro stoled :(

Today I remembered that the notebook have a DropBox account configured, that allows me to check last IP that connected from that machine.
    The good thing is that the DropBox connects automatically when someone connect the MacBook on internet, so I can track that (so far nothing..).

Recently I had the idea of share some file via DropBox that, when executed, start tracking the Mac (something like a Keylogger) or anything that could help me try to track the burglars. Of course this must be something "silent", so they will not know they're being tracked. I imaged naming that executable to something stupid that would brings their attention, like "creditcard-info" or "passwords".

What you guys think about it? Any idea of some MacOS software that could help me?

I really appreciate your attention and help.

Thanks.

2. macdroid macrumors member

I really hope you get your machine back, I know I would be pretty bummed.

That said, anyone reading this thread, and doesn't have Prey installed really should install this ASAP (it should be in a sticky somewhere).

It's free, it lets you track your laptop, no matter the OS, and even supports Android (I have it installed on both my MBP and Droid phone).

http://preyproject.com/

3. batata thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I realized the importance of that. Unfortunately too late.

I was thinking today the possibility that, having the IP, connect remotely to my MacBook using SSH. But I'm not sure that's possible and enabled by default in the MacOS. Is it?

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Depending on where you live the police may or may not have the resources to help you but if you see that someone connected to the net you need to bring that ip along with the date and time of the connection to the police.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

SSH is not enabled by default, so if you didn't turn it on, you won't be able to use that to access the machine.

jW

6. applerik macrumors newbie

i recently bought an apple laptop from some guy off of craigslist that seemed shady and didn't seem knowledgeable about what he was selling, so i'm thinking it might be stolen....could you post your serial number so that i could verify if it is yours or not? i have his cell phone number, and i'd be glad to help you catch him with the police or whatever, but i want to know if it is yours or not. don't get your hopes too high because it very well might not be yours, but hey, it's worth a shot...let me know!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't recommend posting s/n's on the net. If you bought a laptop that you consider shady. Don't post here about possible serial numbers rather contact the police.

8. RiffRaff macrumors newbie

I totally understand! Im a architect and i had TONS of finished & unfinished plans on my mac that was stolen. I would like it back. In my opinion, everyone from the police to the MAC employees seemed to have the "hope you have insurance" sentiment. AND THAT FRUSTRATES ME!! Seems the law works best for the criminals.I have the original box and reciept for my computer and they say they cant track it even if i have the IP address. It seems if i pay over $2,000 on your product, you should be more proactive about helping me get it back. The girl at the store said that "people come in here all the time asking if we can unlock a computer" If the computer needs to be unlocked....its probably stolen....DUH!!!! If you have forgotten your password (on your own computer) you shouldnt mind them doing a SN check. THE MAC STORES should have officers on site to run serial numbers to check to see if its stolen. I like the software idea you have!!! But i would like to take it one step forward....
    The Mac company should have fake "how to unlock a mac" websites. Apparently, people are getting these stolen MAC's unlocked..somewhere by somebody!!!! MAC should SUE the crap outta anyone that unlocks a stolen computer. Make it difficult for the criminals to use or sell a locked MAC. But i figure they (MAC COMPANY) dont care because they know insurance is just gonna buy me a new mac anyway which means more revenue for them.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

9. applerik macrumors newbie

umm...his/her laptop was stolen...what would it matter if he/she gave her serial number over the internet? either way, even if he/she had her serial number, why do people always put up such a big fuss about others knowing their serial number? it's not like it's your social security number...nobody can do anything with a serial number unless it's implanted into their logicboard and clearly written in multiple locations on their apple devices....

i'm just trying to see if the laptop i bought was his/her or not. i know the registered owner's name of the laptop, and i have tried contacting them through e-mails and facebook as well, but they have not been responding at all. the police won't do anything in a case like this, except maybe take my laptop away as "evidence".

if the creator of this thread would like to somehow give me some sort of information on their laptop or their identity, then i'm more than happy to go to the police with them and help them out, but not before it's verified that the laptop i have it truly theirs.

10. applerik macrumors newbie

what is wrong with people marking down ratings of posts from people that are trying to help? i mean really, i bought a broken macbook pro but because of my experience with apple i was able to see who's name the laptop was under and i wanted to make sure it wasn't stolen, and then the guy who spoke the truth and my post are rated down? what is wrong with you people? are you on the thieves' side? i don't see any other reason as to why my post would be rated down if you're not a thief yourself or someone with bad morals and values that would be completely okay with buying stolen products and wouldn't care whatsoever to helping someone else....let me know where you live so that i could come and steal your laptop and you could see how it feels;)