Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mecolema

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Because my Macbook was stolen a few weeks ago, I'm unsure what new computer to get. I definitely don't want to buy an expensive computer, so it's between a Macbook Air and a refurbished white Macbook. (Or maybe a small Macbook Pro...)

Any thoughts? I've always liked the white Macbooks, and I'm skeptical about the Macbook Air because I've heard bad reviews. I'm very sad about my old Macbook, which I loved very much, but it doesn't look like Apple sells refurbished ones on their site; I'd have to look elsewhere. :(

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hi,

sad to hear about your mac getting stolen.
I do not know what bad reviews you are referring to, but IMO, unless you definitely need an optical drive, the MBA (after chassis redesign and assuming sufficient RAM) beats the MB quite clearly.

I have not shared your love for the plastic macs, so I'd rather go with any machine made in aluminum compared to any plastic machine. But YMMV.

In case you go for any of the non-airs, and you do not need large amounts of internal storage, I strongly recommend getting an SSD. The speed and responsiveness is just so wildly different...

RGDS,

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
Seems useless when the thief wipes the HDD

Obviously you have not checked the app out. as soon as the owner realises their property has been stolen they can log in and get the whereabouts immediately.

Which goes a long way to help to retrieve it!

Personally i would not be without it.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It's worthwhile to get insurance for a laptop. Some household contents policies include laptops even when they're out of the house.
Insurers will usually replace on a like-for-like basis, i.e. if you had an old model that was top-of-the-line, they'll get you the new top-of-the-line model.

That and a regular backup will ensure that you don't lose anything when you lose something.

Paying a subscription for Hiddenapp won't help if they wipe the disk, though many thieves may not be technically minded.

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Obviously you have not checked the app out. as soon as the owner realises their property has been stolen they can log in and get the whereabouts immediately.

Which goes a long way to help to retrieve it!

Personally i would not be without it.

Except that programs like these require the thief to connect to the internet before any data is transmitted...

"Obviously you have not checked the app out."

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
Except that programs like these require the thief to connect to the internet before any data is transmitted...

"Obviously you have not checked the app out."

i have had this app on my mac for 3 years so i have "obviously checked the app out"

what thief would steal a laptop and think 'Oh i had better take the trouble to wipe the drive before i see what its capable of, or should i replace the drive completely, perhaps i could give it more ram while im at it'

Get real friend!

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
You can track a stolen Mac with Find my Mac free with iCloud.

This is true but has the same limitation of the app mentioned. If the computer is asleep it isn't going to work. It will notify you and can send messages to the computer should it be turned on.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This is true but has the same limitation of the app mentioned. If the computer is asleep it isn't going to work. It will notify you and can send messages to the computer should it be turned on.

I understand that. My point was why would one pay $15 for an app to do what can already be done free with iCloud.

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
i have had this app on my mac for 3 years so i have "obviously checked the app out"

what thief would steal a laptop and think 'Oh i had better take the trouble to wipe the drive before i see what its capable of, or should i replace the drive completely, perhaps i could give it more ram while im at it'

Get real friend!

A thief that knows about computers? Not sure what you're trying to get at.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
A thief that knows about computers? Not sure what you're trying to get at.

That was my thought too. Most electronics are half way across an Ocean before the owner even knows their device/computer was stolen. So even if there was a magical program that located the device in a powered down state; what's one to do? Call InterPol and demand the ship/plane be boarded and the 3 year old computer be confiscated? XD

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Because my Macbook was stolen a few weeks ago, I'm unsure what new computer to get. I definitely don't want to buy an expensive computer, so it's between a Macbook Air and a refurbished white Macbook. (Or maybe a small Macbook Pro...)

Any thoughts? I've always liked the white Macbooks, and I'm skeptical about the Macbook Air because I've heard bad reviews. I'm very sad about my old Macbook, which I loved very much, but it doesn't look like Apple sells refurbished ones on their site; I'd have to look elsewhere. :(

Not sure where you're going to get a refurbished white macbook from unless your interested in the eBay thing. The Macbook Air really isn't that bad. If I didn't want a bigger screen and a CD/DVD drive, I would've got an 11-inch MBA in 2010. It's exceptionally light and easy to carry around. Sometimes my 2010 white MB is a little too much to carry on my back.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States

A refurb MacBook Air seems like your best bet. I think you can snag them for as cheap as $799 USD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.