Stolen Macs, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atari1356, Jun 27, 2008.

1. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

So, someone broke into our office last night and stole 4 Macs...

Stupidly, we don't have the serial numbers written down for two of the newer computers. I sure that I'm the one that registered them with Apple - but Apple won't give out serial numbers over the phone.

They suggested I check at:

myinfo.apple.com

but I logged in with my Apple ID and it doesn't list computers registered/purchased.

and register.apple.com is only for registering new products it seems.

Does anybody know of an Apple site where I can log in with my registration info and get a list of computers registered in my name? Or some other way for me to retrieve the info.

(and even if you can't help, take a moment to write down all of your serial numbers and store them somewhere safe, because this sucks)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is sad. Real sad.
    Where are the boxes and did the receipt have the SN?

3. atari1356 thread starter macrumors 68000

atari1356

boxes were trashed long ago, and we're trying to track down the receipts now... along with calling the credit card company they were purchased through to see if they have the serial numbers on file

I found the serial numbers! Thankfully I had a fairly recent backup of my computer sitting on an external drive at home - and my email archives had receipts from Apple with the info.

So, today's lesson kids is, keep serial numbers/receipts for your expensive equipment... back up everything regularly, and... uh, DON'T STEAL. :rolleyes:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, keeping an eye on that stuff and/or prepping an asset list with s/n's and copies of receipts for insurance purposes does help.

Not only for insurance, but it help to have a set for the police if you need to fill out a incident report with them.

Of course I'd tend to enter all that info into the accounting program anyhow, and print out an up-to-date asset sheet every now and then with that info.

Though it hurts when they steal the computer, the backups, and the file cabinet with the paper copies.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Glad to hear this worked out in the end,maybe it might be worth getting some security installed

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

What is your next step as far as getting them back or filing complaints?

7. chscag macrumors 68000

Great advice. I'll also add to that - and this is for those students who sometimes get careless with their portable Macs:

Good insurance = http://www.safeware.com/

Regards.

8. atari1356 thread starter macrumors 68000

atari1356

The police were here before anyone even arrived at the office - my boss filed a report once he got in.

I filed a stolen property report with the investigators, listing descriptions of what was stolen, serial numbers and each items value. They said they actually have a pretty good track record of recovering stolen property - so now we just wait and see if anything shows up.

I suppose I also need to file the stolen computers' serial numbers with Apple?

In the meantime, our insurance should cover what's missing so we'll probably get a couple of new Macs. (getting a new Mac would normally be pretty exciting, but not under these circumstances)

And, yeah... we need to get some type of security system. Not sure that would have deterred them though. Apparently they've broken into the neighbors office buildings 5 times in the last two months. This office complex needs a night-time security guard.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Contact Apple, send a copy of police report with serials, so Apple can add notes in their database.

Install video cameras (such as hidden ones near where they broke in).

Firmware password
    Account password on main account (required for log in)
    An account with no password, with undercover installed.

Check local craigslist for the heck of it if you have time.