Stolen MBP...can Apple do anything(besides replacing)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kickyea, Jun 15, 2008.

1. kickyea macrumors newbie

I know and understand in the policy that Apple Care does not cover stolen laptops, but I was wondering if the perpetrators took my MBP to an Apple store would employees be somewhat suspicious about it and notify the original owner? Any advice/tips would be very helpful. Thanks.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you report it as stolen and provide the serial, then possibly something could happen. If not, why would employees be suspicious.

3. stiphone macrumors regular

I would think that the guy who stole your MBP wouldn't that stupid to bring it into an Apple Store. Anyway, no harm letting Apple know the serial number of your stolen MBP. Who knows if you'll get lucky. Anyway, you should consider buying a laptop insurance. I have one which even covers accidental damage to my MBP. Not too expensive for my precious MBP.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Did you buy it with a CC ?, if so look into there insurance policy's

5. kickyea thread starter macrumors newbie

stiphone:
    you mentioned something about insurance? do you have any more specific information about it in case I decide to go with it?

Neil321:
    what's CC? I have apple care, but i'm pretty sure it's not covered under stolen property.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

credit card

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Sorry kikyea, but as aaron rightly pointed out i meant a credit card,some cards have policies on stolen goods,its worth looking into although some do some don't

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

As soon as I get my second macbook pro next week i'm going to inquire to various state farm agents about Personal Article insurance (thats what I heard it was called)

$33/yr no deductible.

Just called. $55 a year + Nikon d50. Now to see if I can throw my iPhone and cases on there.

Here's to dreaming :apple:

9. stiphone macrumors regular

Sure...my insurance is actually tagged to my house rental insurance. It cost me an additional $3/mth or something liddat...cannot really recall unless i dig out the records. Anyway, my insurance company is USAA. They are really good and works very very fast. The fastest I've seen so far. If you're in the Military, I strongly recommend USAA for all your needs.

PM me if you have any further questions.

10. Eric. macrumors regular

11. dimonay macrumors member

12. Fenir macrumors regular

I second this. Although I have yet to have my computer stolen, this software looks like it will be just what I need should it arise.

13. f1 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that your laptop got stolen. However Applecare does not keep a database of stolen computers and will not flag down serial numbers as stolen, and will not refuse service to a computer that is under warranty. However, if your purcahsed the Applecare protection plan for your macbook pro that got stolen you can call Applecare and get a pro-rated refund and put it towards the purchase of Applecare on a new macbook pro.

14. kickyea thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone for the advice. currently i'm filing a claim with my home owner's insurance so i'll somewhat be compensated.
    does anyone have any experience using orbicule? and if it works?

15. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

I have undercover and i really feel like its a great program. although i have never had to use it, knock on wood.

16. ddoonie macrumors regular