Stolen MBP!! Can I do anything with MAC ADDRESS???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by l7alzk, Mar 16, 2009.

1. l7alzk macrumors newbie

Hey guys im here seeking for any kind of advise on how can I track down my MBP. It got stolen 2 days ago on saturday which there is still a chance that it is close by. I have the MAC ADDRESS and if there is any way i can track it down with it when the person connects to the internet i would appreciate the help. It got stolen with my external hard drive and it was all in my collage back pack with notebooks and everything, even took a hometest for tuesday, (lets see if teacher believes me:p) If there is anyway anyone can helpme out I would greatly appreciate it. I alredy told the police and they are "looking for it" but i dont know why but i doubt they find anything.

Thanks in advance guys. Laterz

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

OUCH! Sorry to hear that our stuff was stolen. To the tracking part, from my understanding it's nearly impossible to track yourself unless you have installed some 3rd party software that tracks logins via their website. Think there are a few available but you would need to install a client on your machine prior to it being stolen. The people that could track it would be the ISP of who he/she would login under. The issue is you will not know when, where or which internet provider they logon to the net with.

There are some services that can track your laptop but from what I've read they all require you to install a software client on your laptop prior to it be stolen so when the thief logs on their website logs the laptops activity. Not sure about after the fact though. Good Luck, hope you find it soon.

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Do you have another Mac and was MobileMe configured on your MBP?

I've read of people performing a remote desktop onto their stolen machine and taking a snapshot of the perp!

4. l7alzk thread starter macrumors newbie

no i dont have the mobleme configured i wish i would have though.... anyways is there any other way? there must be a way to track it down if the person connects to the internet

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Ask your school IT department to see if a computer with the MAC address connects.

You should make a police report, bring computer serial number and police report to apple store so they can make a note under the serial.

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I hope you know the MAC address on the laptop can be changed if the person knows what they're doing. So unless your school can track and pin point based on the MAC address and thats assuming that whoever stole it is using it as is on your school's network, its unlikely that you'll recover your stolen laptop, sorry to say.

7. l7alzk thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i called the university and they gave me the Mac address but that is about all they can do since it wasnt stolen in the university knor in the same city so i highly doubt the person studies where i do.It was stolen during some training missions in a military base >_< so that wont work. If maybe some way i could track down its location when the person connects to the internet ived been looking and looking and cant find anything and even the police and the military police are searching for it.