Stolen MBP - it's fate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kuschel, Jul 28, 2013.

1. kuschel macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm new here but I'm not a new mac user. My late 2011 MBP was stolen a few days ago (burglar kicked the door in and stole a bunch of other stuff too). A few other houses on the street were done over the police think it was a pretty organised group. I was very naive and had not encrypted the contents or installed a tracking program. It was password protected though (which I know doesn't mean much if you have any idea what you're doing).

I'm wondering - what is the likely fate of the files on a stolen MBP? Do thieves usually wipe them straight away if they're password protected? Or not necessarily?

I was hoping you guys had heard enough of these stories to know what the most common outcome is...

Thanks!

2. trigonometry, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Sorry about your loss. I don't think you have much to worry about. Unless you're Edward Snowden or Taylor Swift, they're probably more concerned with wiping your computer and reselling it. Just change your important passwords like banking, iTunes, iCloud, etc.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

In general, I would assume the MBPs are wiped and resold.

As said above, change all passwords, and just in case, you might want to get your credit card(s) replaced, if you used them a lot online.

Don't forget e.g. to change your Apple ID password, and other less frequently used accounts. Essentially anything account that somehow has access to your personal or credit card information.

4. kuschel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies, I assumed (and was hoping) as much. The insurance came through today and I'm getting a new one... I will be throwing everything at this one to make sure the same thing doesn't happen again. Lesson learned...