Stolen MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macintoddd, Mar 27, 2009.

1. macintoddd macrumors newbie

I just returned from a conference to a high school where I teach to find out that a MBP has been stolen. I haven't had time to search the forums, but does any one know a way to try and track where it is?

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Without software like UnderCover, the only thing you can do is report the serial number to Apple and any nearby resellers.

Oh, and hope that there was an EFI Firmware Password and that the thief was an idiot (so that data isn't erased, provided there was no backup).

3. p.luik macrumors regular

Did it have mobile me? If the computer is connected to a network, it may be possible to do screen sharing and open photo booth to see who is in front of the computer.

4. macintoddd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions but...

I have a mobile.me account, but I was not logged into the computer so the only account they can get into won't have a mobile.me account.

I'll check with the tech guys to see if they have the serial number for the laptop. My guess is the who ever took it won't resell it but use it.

They didn't swipe the power cord, so they are going to have to buy one. I'm going to e-mail the local college apple store and see if they have anyone come in to buy one that looks or acts suspicious.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks

5. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

sorry to hear your misfortune. hopefully you get your lappy and your work back. lord knows what I'd do if i found the dreck that would've stole my mbp if i were in your stead. to quote pulp fiction's marcellus wallace,"i'd go medieval on his @ss." :D

6. jeremybuff macrumors regular

When you get a new one, it's worth the dollars you'd drop on LoJack..

7. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Unlucky. Sorry to hear that and I hope you manage to get it back!

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

If you have mobile me and you had it active, then just get on another mac and login to mobile me on that machine. If they ever pop on the internet you'll see your computer pop up in the shared area in the finder. You could access it and share the screen and watch what they do or start taking pictures with the camera or something.

9. macintoddd thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got another mac fired up and wonder if....

I'm on the net and logged into moble.me but I'm not sure the other mac is logged in automatically under the account the thief would have access to..

I have an account on the stolen MBP that is synced with moble.me. Is there anyway I could exploit that to located the computer?

Thanks for the help.