Stolen Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glocke12, Feb 25, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

My phone was stolen tonight (its already been deactivated), when I go to get a new one, will I be able to keep my old number?

Since they got my drivers lisence, I dont have a photo ID right now, will I have to show my drivers lisence when I get my new phone?

2. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

umm I dont think you need an ID
    just make sure you call ATT and tell them the situation which im sure you already did, so when you activate the new iPhone, it wont extend your contract 2 more years.

If you get your iPhone from the Apple Store, take it him and run the set up, but just put replace number on line.. should be it...

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

thanks....f'n thieves. if the phone is deactivated, will they be able to use it?

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

This was posted earlier...

"Called and got it listed at AppleCare. They themselves will do nothing, but now I just call in once a week, they pull up my file, run the IEMI and see if there is any activity. If there is, I call the cops, they call Apple, and the Apple will give them any particulars they have."

Hope it helps! :(

5. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Yep- that was me that did that.

Got my phone back, too....

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thanks carfac...

I should have given you the credit. I'm glad you got your iPhone back! :cool:

7. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Just curious, if the phone is deactivated by ATT, wont it basically just be a paperweight ? Or can the thieves just put in another sim card and use it??

8. jeffmc macrumors 6502

it can definitely still be used no problem.

also you will most likely need a photo ID, apple requires you pay for iphones via credit card, which most retail locations require a photo ID to go along with it

9. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

No, not necessarily. The SIM card will never work again, no matter what, so you won't get billed for any other usage. But there are ways to use an iPhone on networks other than ATT (not sure if you've noticed that!). There are also other things one can do. I will NOT go into detail here... as I feel for the OP, and would hate to be him/her and read on my own post how someone could steal my phone and then get away with it in a step by step guide.

When I posted about my phone, that is exactly what some jerk did.

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I payed cash no problems.... and yes they can use it with no problems.......