Stolen PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by TRAG, Jun 26, 2010.

1. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

My PS3 was stolen from my apartment yesterday while I was at work. And as bad as it sounds, I luckily had it set to automatically sign in. AND I left CoD: MW2 in it. The deputy sheriff sounded surprisingly uninterested even given the fact that I had nearly $400 worth of electronics stolen and there was no forced entry (obviously a maintenance worker or other employee). :mad:

After filing a police report, I gave it some thought and started to furiously browse forums, sites, and calling customer service to see if Sony could locate it via IP address, MAC address, or serial number. Without a doubt, customer service gave me the run around saying the authorities could find it and it was out of his area of help. Then a friend called and said whoever had it now was currently playing CoD. I was excited! Now I have a lead and a time that it was being used. With the IP address it can be located and taken back.

So I'm basically asking can Sony release that information after being called by the police and ultimately be returned? Has this ever happened to anyone here? This is very frustrating given the fact that he completely overlooked my roommate's XBox 360 (go figure), MBP, mini, and other LCD TVs. It is as if he walked in, picked it up, and walked out. Even locked the door behind him. :eek:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sony doesn't know who is using it. The police must ask court to command the ISP to reveal the user behind the IP address. At least that's what they do in piracy cases, IP address ain't accurate enough that it could be located in single apartment plus if he has dynamic IP, it changes every time he reboots it I think.

Seeing that burglaries happen everyday and usually they are worth more than 400$, the police may not do anything about it but keep trying, it's not that hard to reveal the bad guy.

Did you have insurance? If so, they should cover your loss

3. TRAG thread starter macrumors 6502

TRAG

I had feeling that the police would not do much. But I'm hard pressed to stay on them. I'm sure if all the processes be done they can locate it.

4. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Dude that really sucks, sorry. It def sounds a bit fishy though that there were other items left around and NOTHING else was touched. Dumb question but are you sure someone may not have just borrowed it? Especially considering that they signed onto your PSN account and played a match of CoD on it.

Pretty idiotic if you ask me...if someone were really putting in effort here I'd imagine that they would either A) wipe all previous owner existence off the unit or B) sell it out right. Just my spare change...:cool:

5. TRAG thread starter macrumors 6502

TRAG

Here's what happened: the thief hit about 7 other apartments. He stole things ranging from camcorders, 360's, laptops, and other electronics. By the time he got to mine I guess he only wanted that.

The guy keeps signing into the PSN to play CoD using my account. He obviously is not smart enough to create a new account. He's definitely traceable. The thing is, Sony won't give up any info on the IP or MAC address until there is a subpoena. And with the way it's looking, it's a lost cause. The PD here really is a sad excuse.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Be creative;

Make a new PSN account
    Befriend him
    Pretend to be a girl, a gamer girl at that who loves CoD
    Have your "long term boyfriend" dump you
    Request a shoulder to cry on
    Smash his face in
    Also: take PS3 back

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Jesus Dagless, you're a genius, I don't condone violence, but OP, seriously, do this...

Where you put "Smash his face in" I actually laughed out loud.

8. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Seriously speaking...this is actually a pretty dang good idea. It'd be like your very own sting operation!! :D

To the OP, man I really hope there's a happy ending to this for you; I feel your pain and wouldn't wish this on anyone...especially with the d.b. signing into your account etc. That's just plain sorry...