Stolen SEALED Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by funnyatleast, Dec 23, 2011.

1. funnyatleast macrumors member

So I had ordered an Sealed 4th gen Ipod touch from a seller on ebay. The tracking number says it was delivered....but there was nothing at my door. [not sure why they didnt make me sign for a 300 dollar thing...] I have called both USPS and contacted the seller. I can basically get my money back by claiming that buyer sent me an item "not as described" but i rather not do that, since that would screw him to.

I know the ipod touch has a new tracking my ipod feature, but since it is sealed, is there anyway apple or anyone could still do this, to see where it was if it was being used? I was thinking maybe if the buyer had the reciept and contacted apple...i'm not sure

Thanks guys for the help

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Can't you make a claim of theft with the USPS?

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

That feature only works when you associate an Apple ID with the device. Seeing that yours was still sealed, that feature is pretty much useless. I hope you can get it figured out with the shipper and seller.

4. funnyatleast thread starter macrumors member

oh so the buyer couldnt tell apple "hey i bought this, here is the recipt, look up S/N" then somehow track it if it was register, by someone else?

I will also try the USPS opition.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Not sure that's legal for Apple to do lol.

6. GeniusJon macrumors regular

Report it to USPS...

This is why I dislike government run postal services. The same thing happens with Canada Post, they just leave the package at the door without ringing the bell. :mad:

7. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Yah, private delivery services are much better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTUZVW95tcs

----------

Because Signature Confirmation has to be requested, and it's an additional charge.

Please don't do that. Two wrongs don't make a right. You and the seller should go through the proper channels with USPS.

Besides, you would have to return the "item not as described" to the seller before you could get a refund.

8. funnyatleast thread starter macrumors member

Yes I agree with you, I will contact USPS. Just wanted to see if anyone could track if somehow once they registered it, which it seems like isnt possible

9. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

10. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Yeah right, like private-for-profit curriers are any better... :rolleyes: Here in the States, FedEx and UPS are our largest private curriers and they leave packages at the door without ringing the doorbell all the time. Requiring a signature costs extra no matter who you choose to ship your product for you, government or private.

11. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had several packages stolen from my front door a few months ago. Luckily, American express offered loss/theft protection and I had the full ~$475 credited to my account within 24 hours.

If you paid with credit card, see if they offer some theft protection and go through them.

As for the whole usps/fedex/ups thing mentioned. UPS frequently loses, misroutes, and leaves packages at my door without ringing the bell, USPS is has been fine as long as I have the regular postal worker coming (there's occasionally someone covering who is lazy with packages and leaves the missed delivery note instead of bringing the package) and FedEx has never been a problem. But in any case, if no signature is require and it's left at the door - its not their problem if someone else snags it.

Don't file a claim against the seller, you're screwing them over for something that is 100% out of their control.