stolenmacbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ikephil, Sep 20, 2008.

1. ikephil macrumors newbie

My laptop was stolen and I already replaced it but of course lost all my photos and documents.:( To day the thief signed on as me on instant messenger but or course will not reply when we iM him/her. Any suggestions?

2. tallestof4 macrumors member

tell your local police department because when he signs on aim they might be able to track his IP address. See if you are able to screen share with him. Then you caould activate photobooth and get a snapp shot!!! (unlikely that he will accept chat and not notice the random popup of an application) so sry to hear aobut ur lost mac.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

One of the first things that I would do is to change your AIM passwords and any other passwords that may have been stored on your Mac, that way he can't pass off using your identity.

4. DerekS macrumors 6502

Is Back to My Mac enabled on the laptop? If so, use that, do a screen share, and delete as much sensitive data as you can...then try and grab a picture using photo booth.

5. kimtrpt macrumors newbie

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Personally, I would change all my passwords BUT the AIM one. It may be your only chance of contacting the thief. IM him/her and tell them the laptop is theirs to keep, but you desperately need your photos and documents. Tell them you will pay $500 cash for a DVD with the files. If they're stupid enough to sign on with your IM account, they may fall for it. If they do agree, set a time and place to meet, then call the cops. You will most likely need to bring $500 actual cash because the cops probably won't go for the nab until the deal is done.

7. MBrolling macrumors member

Yes I am quite sure that after stealing the laptop from him, he will meet up the guy to sell him some other merchandise, and promptly part ways and say goodbye. :confused:

8. rugox macrumors regular

wow mcdj is that your whole hearted opinion/advice? You are not giving him an useful advice but giving him a cut scene from the movies...

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

it worked on Columbo!

10. embalmess macrumors member

Oh I'm sorry about that :( how was it stolen? I hide mine so good when I can but I still worry! :confused:

11. ManuelGnR macrumors regular

I think I should go to the cops and tell them. Mcdj's plan sounds like a movie scene indeed, but it could work. But it's very suspicious someone would contact the thief, and say: Hey, keep my MB, but plz give me my files for $500! I don't know what files you have, but if it's like music and pictures of friends, a girlfriend and vacation no-one would pay $500 for that..

But maybe you could just try the nice way. Tell the thief you got most of the money back from insurance so you got over it, but you just need your files. Maybe he can send a zip (does it work in Mac too?) with your stuff, or maybe for like $50 dollar.

Again, if he burns the stuff to a dvd and all he see is Metallica, palm trees and friend pictures, he should know something's not right..

But again, you can ask the cops what to do and explain them..