Stollen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cx92envy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cx92envy macrumors newbie

So my sons iPhone was stollen from school today. I had a few questions... it was password protected so will some one be able to unlock it? or will that make it completely useless?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They can restore it to use it, but there's no way they can get any info off of it.

PS: It's "stolen" not "stollen"

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

No they can't unlock it and access your son's data but they will be able to just restore the phone with iTunes and use the phone.

Did you contact your provider and report the phone stolen and have them block the SIM from any further usage so you don't get some large overseas Long Distance calls?

Dave

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Actually, I don't think they would be able to do that either. I remember when I plugged in my iPhone into a friends computer, iTunes told me the phone was passcode protected and for it to be used with this computer, the code would need to be entered in.

Also, you should ask your son if he had the Erase Data feature turned on, which would wipe the iPhone clean after 10 failed passcode attempts.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Nope. You can put the phone in DFU mode, or recovery mode no matter what.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it can be restored and either unlocked or used on AT&T.
    Good thing is they wont get into his data like contact names, numbers, emails etc...
    But either way I dont think he'll get it back. Someone who knows how can get the phone to work again without knowing the passcode pin.

7. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

All you would have to do is put it in DFU mode and you'd be in... sad really, in a perfect would, you would have to enter some kind of password or something to put the phone in DFU mode... because really, i could go up to someone else with a iphone and say "hey can i see your phone for a minute" and then put it in DFU mode and give it back... they could fix it, but then they'd be without a phone for the day and tons of time wasted if you have lots of music on your phone... a good 2 hour sync... or worse, it happening to yourself