Stop Address Book Importing Emails?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by malexandria, Mar 25, 2009.

1. malexandria Suspended

Hello,

How do I stop the Address book from importing every contact I reply to? It's annoying, I'm trying to keep it clean so that it's only for my iPhone, but it insists on importing every contact every time I respond to an email. So I end up with a bunch of duplicates and junk in my book. I'm using Firefox and Gmail, but it seems to do it from whatever email program I'm using the time.. :mad:

2. groovee macrumors newbie

Hi,

are you talking about the Mac Address Book (located in /Applications/Address Book.app)? As far as I know it doesn't import anything.

Mail keeps previous addresses internally but nothing is imported into AB.

3. malexandria thread starter Suspended

Mac Address Book

Yes, it's the Mac Contact/Address book. It's somehow automatically importing every email contact from Gmail - even if I don't respond to whatever spam message there is.

4. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Hmmm, strange one. I'm not aware of any setting that enables auto-import of any new contact that comes through email, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was one. (I had a quick look on my Mac but couldn't find anything).

What I did find was an option to synchronise with Google contacts in the AddressBook.app preferences pain, general tab. Do you have this enabled? This doesn't suggest it auto-imports contacts from emails, but if there is some Google setting on the GMail settings page that does allow auto-import, this synchronisation option may explain why Address Book keeps adding them.

Just a thought to check out.