Stop App Installs After Restoring a Backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jan 22, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I wanted to start fresh with new apps but after I restored my backup it has all my previous apps waiting to be downloaded. How can I stop them all without going through and deleting the 100s of icons? I disabled automatic app installs but that didn't help. Might be able to do it in iTunes but I'd rather on my phone. Thanks.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If you don't want the apps is there value of doing a restore at all? If you're using iCloud you can restore as new and then when you sign into iCloud it will bring just that stuff down.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Just "what stuff down"? It didn't restore much at all when I setup as new initially.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

It will keep your notes, reminders, calendar, and contacts. The only thing that will not be backed up by "starting fresh" is settings and apps. It sound like starting fresh is what you want though. Fixing settings only takes a few minutes if that.

It will also keep up to 1000 photo stream photos.

Random, does anyone know why icloud cannot work like dropbox with photos and videos? It seems useless to buy extra icloud storage if I ultimately need that same amount of space of for photos on my phone.

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Well, I do need some app data and voice memos. Ugh Apple. So many apps waiting to be installed. So little we can do to stop them. No glitches either to remove them all?

To answer your q, iCloud is very restrictive and locked to how Apple intends it to be used.

Bleh I'll try seeing what options are in iTunes and update the thread.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Stop App Installs After Restoring a Backup?

I believe the voice memos are restored as well.

7. Bear macrumors G3

You need to delete the apps from the phone and then take a backup if you don't want those apps restored. The Automatic App install setting only applies to new purchases made on other devices.

Also, if you're never going to use an app again I suggest hiding the app purchase.

8. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

iTunes is quicker but still took 20+ minutes to remove 150+ apps. Also a buggy interface for doing so.

Oddly my save data doesn't seem to be recognized by apps except logins. I really only care about iKaossilator but that data didn't transfer over via iCloud even though there's iKaossilator data stored in iCloud. Ugh lol.