Stop apps from reloading after crash

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Nermal, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi,

I managed to damage my iTunes library to the point where it would hard-freeze the entire system (not even the mouse would move). I'm amazed that that's even possible but that's not what I'm whining about here :)

In 10.8, after the system crashed, you'd get a message asking whether to reload the apps that were running before the crash. 10.9 on the other hand just goes ahead and reloads everything without asking. iTunes loads up again, encounters the corrupt file again, and hard-freezes the entire system again.

I managed to get out of this crash loop on about the fourth attempt by managing to force quit iTunes before it could load all the way, but how can I get around this idiotic design decision in the first place? How can I either restore the old 10.8 behaviour of asking whether to reload apps, or just stop it from happening at all?

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

That feature still exists in Mavericks...

I would assume that in your case the computer didn't technically crash and you just force shutdown by holding the power button which doesn't trigger the dialog when restarting.

To answer your question though simply do a safe boot (hold Shift key) to get around this.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, I've never seen the prompt in Mavericks. I did try Shift but maybe I held it at the wrong time because it didn't go into safe boot. I'll read up on it in case I need to do it again.