Stop Automatic Scene Detection in iMovie 08?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeyPotg, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to stop the automatic scene detection in iMovie 08? I imported an hour of footage from my HV20 last night in 24p mode, and it seemed to break at random points where I didn't stop the camera & there weren't any timecode breaks. It's annoying because I was recording speeches and some dances, and when iMovie made a "random" scene break, it cut off several frames, so it just looks choppy.
    I can add a subtle transition between the clips to smooth it out, but I'd MUCH rather have the full, unbroken scene.

I've googled all I could to find the answer, but it only seems to be an option in iMovie 06 and below. I don't understand why they'd take the option out, but perhaps I'm missing something?

2. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Blast! I am certain there were some config options, but I no longer use a tape camera, so I don't have anything to hook up and check it out.

I would've sworn there were options to set for scene detection that were pretty flexible. I don't think you could turn it off, but I thought you could broadly define them...

Here's another idea -- use iMovie 06 OR use Quicktime. I have QT Pro, so I'm not sure if you can with the base product, but with QT Pro, there is no scene detection. Also, I think you have to manually start and stop the capture (so, hook up the camera, start the QT capture, then start the camera).