Stop changing Spaces when I activate apps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johannnn, Jun 13, 2010.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

So after using Ubuntu for a day I realized how good it is with multiple virtual desktops.

So I activate Spaces on my Mac

On Ubuntu, if I first open a Firefox (or any other program) window on Spaces 1, and I then go to Spaces 2 and click on the same program, I get a new window of that program in Spaces 2. Excactly what I want

But on my Mac, If I have a Safari (or Finder etc) window in Spaces 1, and I then go to Spaces 2 and click on Safari, I dont get a new Safari window in Spaces 2. Dependent on if the checkbox in the Spaces System preferences is checked or not, either it changes to the Safari window in Spaces 1, or Safari activates without making a new window

Is this the same behaviour that everyone experiences or is it something wrong on my end? If it is the same behaviour that everyone has, do you really think this is the correct way it should work?
    I want my Spaces to be isolated from each other (as long as I dont manually drag a window between Spaces), but now I never knows what will happen when I click on a program, it feels like random if I will stay in the current Spaces or if it will change

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, go to System Preferences > Expose & Spaces > Spaces
    At the bottom of that screen, uncheck "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application"

Then, open Safari in Space 1. Go to Space 2, click Safari, then click File > New Window.

3. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Ye, that is what I meant by "or Safari activates without making a new window". But does anyone know of a way to make it so that it creates a new window instead? 3rd party apps etc.

This is not consistent, if it was, then if I had Spaces inactivated or had no Safari window open, and then clicked Safari, no new window would be created. But it does.

4. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I was actually thinking about this aswell, I would like spaced to work just as it does in Linux.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's up to that app developer to code that into the app itself. I doubt Safari will ever work that way.

6. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Apple might be able to implement this as a feature in future releases i think? that would be great.