Stop charging while plugged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elsoja, Nov 1, 2011.

1. elsoja macrumors newbie

elsoja

My macbook's battery is lasting for about 2 hours, so, constantly, I have to use it plugged.

I'm worried because I'm losing battery cycles. Is there a way of stop charging my macbook while on power to extend it's battery life?

*Mid 2010 version

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

leaving your MBP on the charger is not bad for the battery. The SMC keeps anything from being damaged. In this way it is extending battery life because you're not putting additional cycles on the battery. You just need to use the battery every once in a while...

I'm curious: how many cycles are on your battery? that's exceptionally low battery life...

3. elsoja thread starter macrumors newbie

elsoja

I can't see how many cycles are on it because i dont have my macbook here with me. I will see as soon as possible.

Anyway, can I use it normally? I thought that while I was using it plugged I was adding more cycles.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You add cycles if you let it discharge.

You can leave your macbook plugged in all the time. When the battery is full, the macbook stops charging it and uses power from the cable.

The only thing one should not do is to never use the battery, i.e. keep it plugged in for several month without ever discharging.

5. elsoja thread starter macrumors newbie

elsoja

it's not a problem then. i need to use the battery, and this is the reason i was worried.

the problem was that i thought that even when the charging was over, the macbook would get it's energy from the battery, and not from the cable.

Another question: this mechanism is from the battery itself or it's from OSX? I was thinking in installing ubuntu on dual boot.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I don't know if it's from OSX or built into the hardware.

Any particular reason why you would install ubuntu? You have most benefits of a UNIX based system in OSX. If you need specific Linux programs, many of them have been ported:

http://www.macports.org/
    http://www.finkproject.org/

I'm just curious, I was a linux user myself, but I was able to get most things I needed to work natively in OSX.

7. elsoja thread starter macrumors newbie

elsoja

I just like Ubuntu and Unity and i support FOSS. :p

But if this power management is build in OSX i will preserve it as the only system in my computer.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Once your battery is charged, it stops charging, even if you leave it plugged in. It will not overcharge and doesn't hurt your battery to run on AC power. When it's plugged in, it draws power only from AC and not the battery, except during periods of extreme demands, when it may draw on both. However, you shouldn't leave it plugged in all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Hmm, the new screenshots look nice. I've installed a 2009 version of ubuntu in VirtualBox, but obviously it evolved quite a bit since then. Actually that was a funny setup: I always work with multiple desktops, and the virtualbox would completely take over one of the desktops, so by switching to that desktop I would switch to a full screen ubuntu environment :)

I never liked Gnome, and I didn't like the changes from KDE 3 to 4. I'm happy they got something new and fresh.

10. elsoja thread starter macrumors newbie

elsoja

i couldn't find the answer of my question regarding the operating system. :(

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're referring to the charging capabilities, they are dependent on Mac OS X for much of the functionality.

12. elsoja thread starter macrumors newbie

elsoja

is the a page where i can read the functionalities that depends on OSX?

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You could try an ubuntu forum to find out how well macbooks are supported there. I don't think apple provides drivers for linux systems through bootcamp.

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

it's controlled by the System Management Controller. IIRC this is part of the EFI, which is comparable to the BIOS on a MBP, so although specific power management is controlled by the OS, basic battery and charging function is in the EFI.

15. elsoja thread starter macrumors newbie

elsoja

So, the basic power management is controlled by the OS, but this mechanism of using the cable when the battery is fully charged is controlled by the SMC? Does this mean i will keep this functionality even if i change the OS?

16. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I would assume so. You notice how when you have the computer off the light on the charger indicates if it's charged? that leads me to believe it's like any other comptuer/ combination of OS's in that regard.