Stop Complaining about 1gb of ram

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macguy360, Sep 18, 2014.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2011
  2. golfdude macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2005
    Let's face it, the phone would run better with 2GB of RAM, next years phones will without a doubt have at least 2GB of RAM, my money is on 4GB for the plus model. Maybe then I will get a 6s+ or whatever it is.
  3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

May 31, 2007
    Florida, USA
    Did you even read what you posted?

"Although OS X supports a backing store, iOS does not. In iPhone applications, read-only data that is already on the disk (such as code pages) is simply removed from memory and reloaded from disk as needed. Writable data is never removed from memory by the operating system. Instead, if the amount of free memory drops below a certain threshold, the system asks the running applications to free up memory voluntarily to make room for new data. Applications that fail to free up enough memory are terminated."

iOS does not have the ability to swap out unused pages. Or rather, it's not CONFIGURED to. I've seen jailbreak tweaks that will enable a swap partition, but I honestly can't see this providing more performance than Apple's own optimized memory management.

Remember, the flash disk in the iPhone is SLOW. It's not like the speed demon SSD in your Mac.
  4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Sep 13, 2014

Beside OP, do you really think this will stop people from complaining about being a $850+ device with 1gb of RAM in 2014?

Even if the 6/6+ run fine on iOS 8... there's no guarantee they won't lag, refresh, have apps crash with future iOS versions that are built for an iPhone with 2gb of RAM.
  5. ZBoater macrumors G3

Jul 2, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I'm returning mine if it only has 640K of RAM. They said no one would ever need more than 640K. Well, I need 2 BILLION.