Stop complaining about iPhone problems!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w...b, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w...b macrumors regular

Seems like the iphone is getting a lot of slack lately. So im going to flame at the flamers.

1. You knew what the iphone came with before you baught it, SO TOUGH LUCK. You want mms text, wait for the application. You want video recording, wait for the application!

2. Battery life. Well considering how many actions the iphone performs and the typs of screen im pretty content with the battery life. if you want longer battery life then dont use 3g, wifi, ipod or video. My iphone 3g was on standby for almost 2 days and thats with 4 hours of usage. To me its fine. Deal with it.

3. Plan costs. Its not a toy. The phone is a smartphone which means you will be paying a little more for the plan. Get another cellphone that has full HTML web browsing and a fast browser! If you cant then pay the $80 a month. Its meant for people with jobs who could afford it.

4. Hardware problems. Everything has hardware problems. TVs come with projections bulbs that die to early, cars come with alignments that are off, battery catches on fire etc. When you have mass production, problems are bound to occur. Stop crying and get it exchanged.

Its a phone. Things happen. Just take care of it and it will last you a long time. Enjoy the phone instead of complaining, and if you dont like it then return it. If you cant return it then unlock and sell for a higher price (how many phones do you know can give you such a high return).

I have had my fair share of problems with my iphone. I had to return it within a week and i had small water damage. But i still love it.

W...B

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

A. it's not getting slack, it's getting flak.

B. Wait for the application? Who says these apps are even coming? Bad advice.

C. It will last you a long time? How do you know?

I'm all for less complaining, but your arguments are kinda corny. Nice try though.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

exactly, this phone is fantastic!
    yes the battery life is worse than a few other phones, but they are not 3g smartphones, and lack of certain features do not bother me, i knew that when i bought it, if i needed them, i would not have bought it

here in the uk, the phone is cheap and on a decent competitive contract, and i have had no problems (not even software problems) so im happy happy!

people, stop coming on forums, wasting your own time and others, increasing the costs to the macrumors people, only to complain about missing features that you should have known about before you bought the phone. if you are not happy, take it back and buy a nokia, running the same software and designed in the same way since 1999

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Stop complaining?

The iPhone so far is the most unstable device I've owned. After the rock solid stability of my iPod touch and version 1.14 software I was lured to the iPhone 3g thanks to the positive experiences with it.

What do I have now? An unstable, almost useless phone with a UI which likes to randomly freeze and applications which crash more than Windows ME.

Feature wise, I knew about the step backwards I was facing going from the N95 to the iphone but to not complain about the absolutely poor experience with the software side of the device is absurd.

No phone before this has crashed on me as much as the iPhone 3g has. The N95 had issues which Nokia eventually ironed out and I expect Apple to do the same. If not I can see myself selling the iphone and buying a sim free N96 when it's released.

5. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

Yeah man what's up with you people (what do you mean you people?):) (great movie) thinking we should take it and be quite! Ya the phones great and all but it's got issues.
    I was wondering about MMS because maybe someone nice on here would have an actual answer (instead of a defense mechanism) and help me understand if there is a limitation on what can and can't be done. Is my 3G not powerfull enough for MMS? What's the hold up! 1000's of junk apps and this one seems hard to do?

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

any phone CAN handle MMS.. the thing is, either apple feels MMS willbe obsolete and people will just all have email on their phones (think of the floppy disk arguement)

OR the want to make an app for themselves and not have developers create one. Right now, the SDK does not allow for an app to run the background, among other issues, so an app for MMS is not going to happy from a 3rd party dev. But POSSIBLY an apple app will emerge, if the above arguement is not true.

I also agree with less complaining, however there are things many people assumed would happen because they are commonplace for a smart phone (Like video recording) that apple will not allow for one reason or another.

No one has REAL answers as to why, because no one here us in apple's RD team.

However, there ARE some very reasonable complaints about the phone as well. SOme people actually spent their HARD EARNED MONEY on thier phone

7. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

8. odysseus2 macrumors newbie

The N95 had issues which Nokia eventually ironed out and I expect Apple to do the same. If not I can see myself selling the iphone and buying a sim free N96 when it's released.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your statement - devices like the Nokia, or sony Ericsson smartphones seem to me much better deveoped than the iphone and its absurd Apple sells this as a smart phone not able to do so many features other cell phones offer routinely. Do you know is syncing the ical with the Nokia smartphones possible? Do they also sync the to-do List?
    Thanks for yours statement
    chris

9. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

yeah i do kinda agree. Everything has the potential for problems. There will never be a situation were every production model will be perfect.

The features are the features on the phone. Maybe in the future, we will have MMS, maybe we won't. I guess u need to decide if u can live with the phone as it is currently, and enjoy it for what it is, or don't buy it. Get something else.

The same goes for the battery. This phone just does so much, that it would be impossible for any current battery to satisfy it's power needs. Maybe in the future this will be possible.

I saw a link around here for a company coming out with a combo case and battery in september that looked pretty cool, but i forgot the link.

10. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

notice that it's more often the third party apps that crash. Have apple put their apps on a separate partition. For safety or stability reasons?

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

All I'm going to complain about is the phone is instabel and buggy. Crashing, freezing and slowing down. People paid their money and if they want to complain thy should. Maybe, just maybe apple will listen and add those missing items. The phone is great, but ALS crap at the send time depending what you are doing with it.

12. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

That's another reason why I'm hesitant to update my 1.1.4 firmware... I may not get the app store, but everything works just the way I want it to. Reports of unstable firmwares 2.0 > made me sort of indecisive about making the switch.

13. archipellago macrumors 65816

I'm not complaining...

Its just not a very good product...with godawful QC issues.

soon I will be an ex-owner and that will be that for me and Apple...and that included Computers, Ipods and Mobile Me.

/end

14. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Nokia do an iSync plugin for some phones with full support for contacts and calendar so you should be fine.

Check the Nokia support pages for the isync plugin for mac.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The OP may want to consider that some of us have been using Apple products for years, and while it's a great device, the iPhone has had more problems than all my other Apple products combined (2 MBPs, iPod 4th Gen,. iPod 5th Gen, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G). People are complaining because we've come to expect a high level of quality from Apple products, which isn't being shown here. I'll be the first to defend Apple, and the iPhone is an amazing device, but the problems are more highlighted BECAUSE its so amazing.

16. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

To the OP, stick a sock in it, will ya please? I, along with lots of other iPhone 3G owners absolutely LOVE our iPhones, but are quite disappointed with the, at least to me, completely unexpected extremely buggy iPhone firmware. Since I "upgraded" to 2.0.1, I have had to, on a somewhat regular basis, restore my iPhone. All of the iPod content gets deleted and all non-Apple (stock) apps, to include Apple's Remote app, crash and won't run. What has happened recently is that I can't even restore to the last backup - I am forced to set up my iPhone as a new phone.

We have a RIGHT to complain about a product that doesn't perform up to its own standards, especially one for which we paid our good old hard-earned cash (or credit, as the case may be :D). Do I LIKE having to restore between 5-7 times a WEEK? NO, but I will put up with it for a little while (read: until Apple comes out with the next firmware update).

With that being said, I'm beginning to see the picture forming, and I think the issue lies with the apps and the app store (once the user has upgraded to firmware 2.0.1), although I'm not sure if it's any particular app I have or not. I have noticed some errors when an update is being applied to a couple of apps. I'm going to be doing some troubleshooting over the weekend and will let everyone know my results.

To those who complain about the "lack" of features you want, I agree with the OP - suck it up. The iPhone, as is, is a wonderful device, but don't complain if you can't get everything you want on it. You won't find any cell phone like that.

As for the battery life, why should the user be forced to NOT use the features so touted by Apple on the iPhone 3G? In other words, it has 3G, but you advocate turning it off. The same goes for GPS, and iPod functions. Those are all built-in features of the iPhone, ones that are meant to be used. Why should the user NOT use them? After all, the user paid for them, and Apple has posted stats for the battery. If the iPhone 3G doesn't even live up to the stats Apple has posted, why shouldn't the user complain?

As to the hardware issues, a lot of us, and I'm including myself here even though I've only been a Mac user since 2006, have become accustomed to the extremely high standard Apple has set for the sheer beauty and quality of construction of Apple's products. That's why you see complaints about recent products, especially if we feel they don't meet Apple's previously established standards. As I posted above, if you PAY for a product, you have a RIGHT to complain if it doesn't even meet the manufacturer's standards.

While some of the complaints are non-sensical, there are a lot of valid complaints about the iPhone 3G. I am a little dismayed that the iPhone 3G has suffered so many hardware and software issues, although I do not have the same issues on my 1st gen iPhone (now, effectively, an iPod touch). The 1st gen iPhone appears, at least on the surface, to be a much better product, albeit without all the bells and whistles of the iPhone 3G.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

17. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

So you started a topic to complain about the complaining??

18. wolfwill23 macrumors member

Have fun with Vista!

19. archipellago macrumors 65816

dual booting Vista and Kubuntu.... both are great.

Vista is all about having 'enough' hardware. Spend Apple type money on Vista products and it will be at least as stable..or in my case more so!;)

cheers

20. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

An MMS app can only come from Apple, because of the limits of the SDK. If you want MMS, you have to jailbreak.

21. wolfwill23 macrumors member

Don't forget your virus protection software.

22. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

Do you think they will?

23. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Look you can't honestly think that the iPhone 3G has the same quality as the first one. It is an AMAZING phone but compared to the first one it is a lot less reliable and has many more engineering issues.

My advice to you is if you don't like the complaining. Dont open the threads.

24. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

It's possible. Granted, Apple has bigger problems, namely fixing the problems and delivering what they promised, though it appears we will have to wait for them to deliver push notifications. So, maybe they'll stick it in iPhone 3.0 ;)

25. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

As promised, I've done a bit of troubleshooting and searching through other threads and I think I may have a solution for those of you who, like me, were suffering through countless restores of our iPhones 3G.

Simply, uncheck all apps in the Applications tab in iTunes. That way, all the apps will be deleted from your iPhone. Verify that all non-stock apps are indeed off your iPhone, eject your iPhone from your computer, then reconnect your iPhone. That will initiate another sync and the first backup of your "stock" iPhone. Then simply reinstall all apps still listed in the App Store and everything should be good.

Apparently iTunes 7.7.1 caused some corruption in the application files (most likely DRM), which is at the root of the wonkiness we've experienced thus far. My iPhone has been rock solid, albeit only for this short time period, but I'll continue to keep an eye on it to verify my results.

HawaiiMacAddict

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.