stop complaining about no FW400

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4fingered, Oct 14, 2008.

1. 4fingered macrumors member

I am already tired of reading people complaining bout FW400 I know it may be a hassle to have one less port but if you have a bunch of equipment that only uses FW400 then you have no worries.

FW800 is still compatible with FW400. buy one of these if so necessary http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw_adapter.html and that was just the first hit on Google.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

a lot more people are complaining about how the MacBooks have no Firewire. im fine with Apple only putting Firewire 800 on the MacBook Pros as it does away with older technology and makes room for Firewire 3200 which will have the same connector.

im not really that bummed that the MacBooks dont have Firewire as i wouldnt really use it on my notebook but on my Desktop.

3. Kaliemon macrumors member

I agree. I have a first gen MBP 15" and I remember when everyone complained about it not having FW800 and now the new one doesn't have FW400.

Frankly, I would rather have FW800 and use a 800-400 cable for my old stuff without FW800.

Also, If I really need another FW port I would rather get a FW800 express card, and use everything at 800.

4. johnsy macrumors 6502

I am Ok with less ports. Thing with a laptop is that if you start adding limitless quantities of cord it means that you probably need a desktop. You can always solve lack of ports with a hub. Of course you will have to pay for additional hardware, but it might be even easier- you plugin everything in one hub and have just one cord to computer. So as long as there is lack of USB ports everything is OK, but problems starts when there are no firewire ports at all. If you have one you fine- you can daisychain everything, but if you have none and no express card slot, then you are screwed. So macbook shiny has a serious flaw. He has older brother with at least FW 400...

In another words everything is directed to the masses- masses want one port- USB. They don't care about any other ports. Shiny macbook pro has one feature- all ports are on one side. I can assure that this is not a feature- there was no other choice- people demanded user replaceable HD and the only way was to put it in front. So DVD burner had to move to a side and there was no room left for other ports... I think this is not a deal breaker.

5. johnsy macrumors 6502

SO what are you saying? that current firewire 800 is future compatible with FW3200? I mean things usually are only backward compatible- in another words you will not get FW 3200 speed from FW 800 port.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You start off by telling people to stop complaining and then you finish by telling people to buy stuff. Why should we have to spend more money?

Well you better get over being tired of reading, because there will be a lot of threads on it.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

And more are coming....

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no! i realise that. they only put one Firewire port in the new case design so all Apple has to do is upgrade the Firewire chipset to 3200 and you have both! if they put in a Firewire 400 port as well your stuck with 400 and a waste of space.

9. djellison macrumors 68020

So can you imagine how overjoyed we are to read about someone complaining about people complaining 'bout FW400'.

10. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

okay maybe I came off the wrong way by complaining my self. I was mainly just trying to tell a lot of people, who don't already know this, that there is an easy way to still use your FW400 hardware.

To me it makes perfect sense to get rid of FW400. It's a dying port. At least the port is backwards compatible and doesn't leave you high and dry. What should have happened is they should have replaced the FW400 with a eSATA port.

I agree with that. I think it's a major bummer that the MacBooks don't have any Firewire. at all.