Stop Duplicate Mail? (iMac AND iPhone)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chopper9, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Chopper9 macrumors regular

Chopper9

I sit at my computer all day reading and responding to emails. Then later on that day or night, when I check email via the iPhone.... I get bombarded with the same 50 emails that I've already dealt with.

Is there a way to have my iMac and or iPhone set up so if an email was previously read on my main Mac, it wont download it to my iPhone when I check mail remotely? In otherwords... only show or download NEW email?

Anyone?

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Check the email settings in your computer email application to see if you have the option of 'delete from server' selected.

For example, I use Eudora, and I have that option expressed a different way - it says 'leave on server for xx days', which I've left unchecked, so that whenever I clear my emails, they're then deleted from the mail server. Deleting from the server will only work if you check your emails first with your computer.

3. ant-macyourself macrumors member

It sounds like you have a POP account. Does your email/hosting provider offer IMAP services? This would keep everything synchronized between both devices so that if you view it on one it will be marked as read on the other. I made the switch about a year ago and it has saved me ridiculous amounts of time sifting through email multiple times.

4. Chopper9 thread starter macrumors regular

Chopper9

Thanks for the replies guys. I have Time Warner Roadrunner email, so it IS a POP account, not available as an IMAP type.

Question... if I do have the options selected as DELETE FROM SERVER immediately, does that mean if I check an email on the iPhone, it will never appear on my iMac? Cause that wouldnt be good.

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

Get a Gmail account and forward the RR email to Gmail. Set up gmail on your iPhone and computer as IMAP. Complete synchronization - automatically and instantly.

6. Chopper9 thread starter macrumors regular

Chopper9

Hmmm.... thats interesting. I've never forwarded an email account before.... any tips?

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

Login to your road runner webmail account. My road runner email ends in @wi
    .rr.com so I would go to webmail.wi.rr.com

You will have to adjust the address to fit your domain name. Once you are logged in you can go to settings/prefs/whatever and setup a forward. It's very simple.