Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rgpineda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Hello I wanna if there's a way of stoping the erase all settings and content action. I completely forgot the phone had jailbreak and now it's stuck on the apple logo.. I don't want have a computer at the moment so I can't restore the phone with iTunes and I already tried rebooting it. Thanks!
iPhone 6 iOS 8

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
In my jailbreaking experience, this would mean that you're stuck until you get to a computer with iTunes. You can then restore the phone in dfu mode if you can manage to get it to cooperate. Sometimes the iPhone will let you enter it as if you just started your phone from being turned off while in a reset loop.

When you jailbreak you phone, you modify the OS. The iPhone uses the currently-installed version of iOS as its master copy of the OS when you reset the phone. If the master copy is modified, then the iPhone doesn't know how to deal with the anomaly. In this case, iTunes can then be used to flash a new fresh master copy (so to speak).

You might have more luck in the Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks forum or /r/jailbreak, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a non-iTunes solution.

ielessar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
WJ
There a program called TinyUmbrella. Google it and download it (they have an official blog). Connect your phone, there will be a button to exit recovery mode. It may work and you wont have to do a complete restore.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There a program called TinyUmbrella. Google it and download it (they have an official blog). Connect your phone, there will be a button to exit recovery mode. It may work and you wont have to do a complete restore.
How does OP "exit" recovery mode if OP is not in recovery mode?

His phone is bootlooping because he Erased All Content and Settings on a jailbroken device. It's not in recovery mode.

On another note…I find it interesting how many people go through the hassle of jailbreaking their devices and then "forget" they jailbroke it when it comes to Erase All Contents and Settings.

Lots and lots of "accidental" jailbreak loss around here. :D

Last edited:

ielessar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
WJ
How does OP "exit" recovery mode if OP is not in recovery mode?

His phone is bootlooping because he Erased All Content and Settings on a jailbroken device. It's not in recovery mode.

On another note…I find it interesting how many people go through the hassle of jailbreaking their devices and then "forget" they jailbroke it when it comes to Erase All Contents and Settings.

Lots and lots of "accidental" jailbreak loss around here. :D

What you say is true, I understand. But I've tried it several times and it worked. We won't know until he tries.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
You can hold the homebutton and power button down and make it force reboot. From my personal experience on multiple phones it doesn't delete anything

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hello I wanna if there's a way of stoping the erase all settings and content action. I completely forgot the phone had jailbreak and now it's stuck on the apple logo.. I don't want have a computer at the moment so I can't restore the phone with iTunes and I already tried rebooting it. Thanks!
iPhone 6 iOS 8
If there is an Apple Store near by just use one of the MacBooks near the back of the store near the Genius Bar to do a dfu restore. Most of these have the latest iOS 9 already on them. Take your own cable ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You can hold the homebutton and power button down and make it force reboot. From my personal experience on multiple phones it doesn't delete anything
You are correct. What you describe is a hard reset and it's effective.

However, the OP has a jailbroken iPhone. When you Erase All Contents and Settings on a jailbroken iPhone it affects the underlying file structure in a negative way. It neither completely wipes the jailbreak nor completely restores the phone. It's in a halfway state and cannot boot. So, it bootloops either infinitely or until it's restored through iTunes.

A hard reset won't fix that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.