Stop Front Row Artwork Flipping Animation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bwd, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Bwd macrumors newbie

Hi.

Does anyone know if there is any way to stop the album artwork flipping animation when listening to music on front row. It actually puts me off using it because every time it flips it attracts my eye and distracts me.

Cheers.

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Do you use Front Row to watch movies? If not, I'd suggest installing the old version that used to be on Tiger. It keeps your music playing after you've exited because it uses iTunes for playback instead of doing it itself. The only problem is, it crashes in Leopard if you try to watch movies.

I don't think it's possible to disable the album art flipping every thirty seconds. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Bwd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I don't really use it for movies so this might be a good option. Is it safe to do? And how can you get hold of the installer?

Thanks.

4. Bwd thread starter macrumors newbie

Fantastic. Works really well. Thanks for the help.

5. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Anyone found an easier fix? The discussions seem to be hit or miss.

6. Bwd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have actually now returned to the current version of Front Row, the old one had problems with crashing and it returned me when I updated my software anyway. I have got to say I think Front Row is something that needs a serious update into Snow Leopard. The artwork flipping is really annoying (and no, I have still yet to find an easier or existing way), the lack of airport express capabilities is ridiculous and it just generally needs a few more preference options in it. I know it is meant to be a simple programme but it just doesn't offer the features and helpful customisation in my view.

7. Conlan macrumors newbie

I also wish there was a way to turn off that flip animation. Near as I can tell, it is utterly useless.

8. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

The intent of the art-flipping is to prevent screen burn-in for when the Mac (or AppleTV 1.0, which essentially became Front Row 2.0) is hooked up to a plasma. I agree that there should be an option to turn it off. Of course, iTunes itself can be operated with a remote, so that's always an option.

9. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

OK, so here's a potential workaround: I made a quick-n-dirty iTunes visualizer that just displays the album art and track information... no animations or anything. Just unzip the file and stick it in the ~/Library/Compositions folder. Anyone out there with a modicum of Quartz Composer experience should be able to improve upon this if they so choose (mainly because I have zero QC skills :p). While you can't browse your library via remote like in Front Row, you still get the basic play/pause/back/next/volume controls.

Here's the file