Stop HDD heads from parking?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bozz2006, Jun 10, 2009.

1. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I have noticed that I can hear the HDD parking quite a bit. Even if i'm not doing much or moving the computer. is this normal? I installed the seagate 7200.4 500GB drive about a month ago without issue. i don't know if this behavior is new or if i've just never noticed it before. What do you all think?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Go to System Preferences-Energy Saver then uncheck "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible".

3. MZ3Alex macrumors newbie

I am having this same problem with my brand new MacBook Pro I just got yesterday. I noticed this happening right after I turned it on for the first time. It makes sort'a like a small click (barely audible) and then a faint beep right? By the way I have the same 7200RPM 500GB HDD too.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm just wondering, do your seagates have the freefall sensor built into them?

5. MZ3Alex macrumors newbie

How would I check that and what would that mean if it did?

EDIT:
    As it turns out it does have the shock protection feature. The HDD model is ST9500420ASG if you wanted to look at the features of it. But why would the heads be randomly parking? Could this is a firmware problem in the drive? I turned off the option to shut down the HDD whenever possible in my Energy Saver Preferences and so far I haven't heard the heads park yet so maybe it has to do with the drive powering on and off. Although idk how that would work considering it happened 3 times in a row to me last night. (But then after changing that setting and restarting it was fine.)