stop imac from turning off screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacPC, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MacPC macrumors regular

Hi I have an older iMac, (late 2008). When I reinstall Snow Leopard from the DVD, every 10minutes or so, the screen will shut down automatically, it seems like an energy saver feature built in the hardware. Is there away to keep the screen on all the time? it's very annoying When it keeps shutting off.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you looked at System Preferences > Energy Saver > Display sleep yet?

3. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

4. simsaladimbamba

Now it should have finished installing, even from a slow optical disk drive (ODD) it should not take more than 45 minutes.
    But I now understand what you mean, and I encountered the same during numerous installs via ODDs. Since using an external HDD as installation medium I haven't encountered such behaviour, but typically due to the installation being faster.

PS: If the installation is still going after at least 80 minutes (+ two or three 10 minutes periods), then you either have a very bad installation medium or your internal storage device (the one you install to) is very slow in writing data onto it.

PPS: Why is it annoying? Normally you will get notice, that the installation has finished, when the welcome video plays its music.