Stop internal speakers from muting with headphones

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Crystalcore, May 3, 2012.

1. Crystalcore macrumors newbie

I want to plug in an extension cord from the line out plug in the back of my iMac, then have it reach out to the front of the computer so it's quick and easy to plug in my headphones when I want. The problem, is that when I plug in the back, it will automatically turn off the internal speakers. But I want the internal speakers to stay on "audible" until i plug in the headphones on the other end of the cord. Any way to do this?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

In short, the answer to your question is - No! When the jack plug is inserted into the socket at the rear of your machine it automaticaly switches the internal speakers out of circuit.

An alternative is to use USB headphones which will enable you to switch the output between Internal and the phones.

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

One solution is to get some speakers that have a headphone port in the front. I use Logitech Z-2300's that have a volume pod that has a headphone jack.

[​IMG]

4. Crystalcore thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yea, I was afraid of that. I was hoping there was some cable that would trick the computer to simple act like an extension to the plug. I'll try the USB speaker way. Thanks a lot. Randy