stop iPhone from opening iPhoto?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ero87, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey friends,

I don't want iPhoto to open up every time i plug in my iPhone, it's kindof a hassle. Any ideas?

2. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I get annoyed by that too. I couldn't find a way to make it stop though.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

try moving iPhoto out of your applications folder or else renaming the application. Software update installers can't find it when you've done this, so maybe it will fool the iPhone too. ?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You might need to go into Image Capture, and change the preference to not start iPhoto when it is connected.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

it does this to import your iphone camera photos.

try this:

1. import the photos into iphoto and when asked to delete or keep originals, delete. This deletes from the phone and pulls them into iphoto.

2. if you still want them on the iphone and that is why you haven't imported and deleted them, or if you have imported them but not deleted them, just create an album in iphoto called iPhone Pics or Camera photos or something. I wouldn't use Camera Roll. Then sync that album. Then you can keep them on your phone, resynced, and delete them from your camera roll. iPhoto won't launch unless there are photos in your camera roll to import.

6. ignus graius macrumors regular

I use the above method in preventing iPhoto from opening for me.

7. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Yes, I understand WHY it's opening. I just don't want it to. I could follow your instructions, but the problem is I don't really want to create a new event when there is only one or two pictures on the phone.

I'll try the others advice and search the preferences when I get home (I thought I had looked hard for it, but I may have skipped over a section)

8. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

it worked for me too, awesome! thanks a lot.

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Make sure you're in the program Image Capture, rather than iPhoto or iTunes. Set the preferences in Image Capture to not open up iPhoto when you connect a camera.

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Great info...iPhoto kept opening every time I would connect my iPhone to my PB...I did a search and found your suggestion...it worked perfectly...thank you...

11. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

You could also open iPhoto preferences and move it from Connecting Camera Opens iPhoto to No Application.

Attached Files:

12. ygyssdsy macrumors newbie

I get annoyed by that too. I couldn't find a way to make it stop though.

13. tim370 macrumors newbie

easiest option by far! works perfectly - and when you go to open iphoto while your iphone is plugged in it recognises it as a camera and gives you the option to import your photos from there.

thanks for the tip!

14. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ugh that was soooo annoying !

15. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

I dont have that option in my preferences here is what I have

[​IMG]

16. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Good tip, thanks.

17. jouster macrumors 65816

Nor do I:

Attached Files:

18. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

You must have an older version of iPhoto.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Then follow gauchogolfer's advice up above. ('Image capture' is an application, btw.)

20. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

pretty sure its only in iLife 08.

21. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

yup, iLife '08 here and I have that preference in iPhoto.

22. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Follow the advice of Roland.g for the easy solution

If you import the last photos taken, and option to delete them after import, then iPhoto won't open again during a sync until new photos are taken.

When you option to delete the photos from the iPhone, it isn't actually deleting them, just moving them from the Camera Roll to the Library. Later, on your computer, you can categorize them in a folder, and that categorization will sync with the iPhone during a regular iTunes sync.

I don't see what the big problem is, and I do this all the time.

23. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

First off, it is actually deleting them. They've already been imported to the iPhoto library, but you are deleting off of the phone. That's why it says "Delete Originals".

You should read through the thread before you post. My post here is exactly why others might not want it to open.

When I want to import my pictures, I'll do it. If I'm just docking to transfer a song or a contact or calendar event, then I don't want iPhoto to open and try to get me to save 2 arbitrary pictures that someone took while playing with my phone.

I think the big problem was that before iPhoto 08, there was no option for disabling iPhoto from opening within its preferences.

Regardless, an answer has been provided to the OP's question, as well as an answer for those who don't have the latest version of iPhoto, so I'd say this thread is pretty much done.

24. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Then let my post act as a clarification, what you are stating wasn't clear above.

You don't need to be so rude in your posts either Earjam.