STOP IT with these "next iPad/iPad 2/should I get one now?" threads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by yhellotharsir, Aug 12, 2010.

1. yhellotharsir macrumors member

I am convinced that any & all of these threads are made by trolls hoping to slam the iPad or generate disinterest in it.

Seriously, if you look at the topic creators of these threads, ALL of them are registered July and August 2010.

Troll/fake accounts.

The iPad is 4 months old, it BARELY finished shipping internationally in other continents, and it's currently Apple's hotcake seller behind the (of course) iPhone.

GET IT, ENJOY IT, and STOP spamming the board with those pointless threads. Do you think the iPhone board will become bombarded with "get one now, or wait for iPhone 5?" threads around 2 months from now??? :rolleyes: God I hope not. So there should be no reason for this kind of hysteria/stupidity on the iPad board.

2. 184550 Guest

3. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

This may sound crazy, but perhaps they are legitimate buyers who would like to seek advice from others. If I were them I would go to some kind of ... forum ... perhaps online is easier... oh wait...

Maybe a better solution to the 'problem' would be to create a buying advice sub-forum (this may already exist), so these threads, if they are that numerous, can be grouped together.

4. chain752 macrumors newbie

It looks like You're account was created in july.:rolleyes:

5. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Yea, not *****, something is strange there ... probably employee's the other companies racing to knock off Apple's iPad.

I HATE knock offs they're never ever as good as the original :D

7. gigaguy macrumors 65816

"Well, I'm waiting for generation 5 iPad. but Oh I can't wait that long!"

These questions seem weird, either get one and enjoy it if you want one. try it out at the store. I don't understand why people ask this. If you have a Best Buy or Apple store you can get to, you can use one all day long if you want to try it. you can read all it does on apple.com too.
    confused.
    It's okay to want one, really...as long as you can feed the family and such afterwards.

8. Hyata macrumors member

Take it easy, francis...
    Sorry Nathan, I meant to quote the OP.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Regardless of the OP's motives, I actually agree to a large extent. The many many replica threads over iPad 2 and it's hardware, reluctance to purchase, and date of release are all becoming very tiresome. If it wasnt for the fact many of these threads are eventually waste landed almost one in 5 threads would end up on these topics, when surely 1 single super-thread would suffice.

10. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Seconded - I dislike duplicate threads, and most of the "iPad gen 2" threads could go into one. I think the mods here need to start taking a bit of a stronger hand in merging duplicates.

In a related note, I am also sick and tired of the spam threads. There was a spate of them recently. They choke my goat more than duplicates.

11. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

There's not much the mods can do to prevent spam either than delete it when it is posted.

12. Dooger macrumors 6502

Any & all? Time to start taking the anti-paranoia pills. The thread titles are pretty self-explanatory, if you don't wanna read it then don't click on it.

For example, when you posted the thread whining about iPhone shipping times I scrolled right past because it didn't interest me at all. Thankfully Nathan gave us the link so we could all revel in the disgust you exhibited when Apple actually exceeded your expectations. I've no idea why you felt the need to start a thread about it but it's your prerogative, as it is the prerogative of those who seek iPad advice.

13. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I suggested that they implement a system which is in use in another forum I have used where new members are restricted to posting in existing threads for a set number of times before they can create a thread. This would force spammers to spend more time than being on a forum (especially one filled with tech savvy and usually scam-wise members) is worth. And for genuily new members it would force them to search for a related thread, introducing a lot of people to the often neglected search function. The restriction should also apply to PMs.

14. NJBlackBerry macrumors member

Perhaps there should be a system to automatically delete any thread you don't like?

Maybe someone should start a thread that says "iPad Users Endorse Censorship".

As stated, it you don't like the thread title, DON'T READ THE THREAD.

15. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Best post of this thread so far and spot on.

16. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

It will never stop. If you guys think they should not be allowed to create a thread until so many posts, post it in the site and forum feedback section, however that might defeat the objective of these forums being here to help people.

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm sorry, I HATE forum nazi's, but I gotta say I completely agree with the OP. It's the same freakin questions, "Should I wait for the ipad2?". Seriously, I'm all for helping new people out, even when they don't search as I'm plenty guilty of, but how many more front page posts do you need for it to occur to you to not post another one? This isn't a case of forum nazi's not helping newbies out, it's a case of extreme annoyance seeing the same exact post worded differently several times on the front page.

18. BrennerM macrumors regular

I agree, if the mods would sticky a couple of these types of threads people could post to their heart's content in those threads.

My suggestions for sticky topics:
    "When is the next iPad coming and what will it look like?"
    "Should I buy an iPad now or wait?"

Once these threads have enough posts they will answer almost anyone's questions so they don't have to ask it again 1 million times in new threads.

19. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I blame Macrumors for this bigtime. They should just start one of those permanent threads at the top where people can express their opinions on why the iPad is worth buying. I feel the OP ON THIS ONE!!! now when newcomers come in, they see this thread first and won't see the need to start another next iPad or why should I buy an iPad threAd. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuh MACRUMORS!!!!

20. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

I agree. And beyond just those threads, there are too many repetitive threads, and most threads are about things nobody knows about. Like the thread where everyone is posting what the like most about the iPod Touch 4, and they aren't even out yet.

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

When I looked in that forum earlier today, there were only 3 such threads on the first page. If you report the threads we'll consider merging them if it makes sense. Just make sure to include a link to a thread to merge into. If you just say "There's already other threads on this" we might not find them depending on the subject and how much time we feel like spending on hunting down another thread. Often times another thread may not exist readily if another mod has already done the merge without seeing the post report. So a link is very helpful!

If you don't care for the threads, don't post in them. Some people are genuinely curious about it. But posting in the thread just to snipe at others will bump the thread back up and into the spy, it'll cause others to start sniping, and just make more of a mess that you didn't want to see in the first place.

Stickies are kind of hit or miss. I personally tend to glaze over stickies in most forums I go to. Yeah I know... it's just an unfortunate side effect. That doesn't mean we won't stick threads... if you feel a thread should be stuck either create a thread in the Site and Forum Feedback area (oh hey here it is!) or report the first post in the thread. This does not mean that we'll stick the thread, but we'll take it into consideration.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We've considered it, but so many users sign up because they have legitimate new questions that we'd rather keep the burden on us to clean up problems than to prevent them from starting threads. That would be a major inconvenience to our new members and have a side effect of encouraging them to spam for post count.

However, we do have limits on Private Messages for new forum members as you suggest. See Why can't I send a Private Message? in the FAQ.

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's also easier for us to clean up spam threads than spam posts inserted into existing threads, particularly when people have responded to the spam posts.

That's part of the reason we ask users to simply report spam posts and move on. In cases where people have responded to spam posts in existing threads, cleaning up the responses takes significantly more work than cleaning up the actual spam.

24. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

@silentpanda, and Dr. Q,

Thanks for the work you guys do. It is truly a thankless job. I can understand how some users who come here for news, tips, info are driven to madness by the endless stream of useless repetitive threads. Maybe reporting the threads and the mods issuing a few warnings will cut down on the "repetitive thread abuse".

25. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I'm afraid to say that these posts will most likely never stop. Due to the success of the infinite loop (Apple) a continuous stream of people will continue to wonder what the next product will be. we are basically stuck in a cycle that will go around and round repeating itself forever as long as Apple keeps making hot products like these.