Stop iTunes updates from scheduled software update?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sandrew26, May 25, 2012.

1. sandrew26 macrumors newbie

I am currently using iTunes 9.2.1, and have the "do not check for updates" selected in the prefs menu. However, I like to keep my other mac apps up to date, and so I check for software updates daily/weekly. Regardless, Software Update seems to think that iTunes wants to be updated. For the past year or so, I have been content with pressing "more details", and then unselecting iTunes to be updated, but I've grown tired of that.

Is there a way for me to entirely disable updates to iTunes from the scheduled software updater? (Or somehow, just anything so that I don't have to keep pressing more info, only to realize there's nothing to update but iTunes!) OS 10.6.8

Thank you for any help you might be able to offer =)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can remove it by pressing the delete key when it's highlighted. This put iTunes in the ignore list. Note: It only ignores the current version. If Apple released iTunes 11 next week and you checked for updates after telling it to ignore iTunes 10.6.1, it'll present you with an option to install iTunes 11.

3. sandrew26, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

sandrew26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not know that - thank you, Intell! *is going to go do that right away*

Is there some way to make it permanent across every new iteration, or is that too much to hope for?

EDIT: Solution did not persist through next update check.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. sandrew26 thread starter macrumors newbie

The solution posted isn't working. Initially I thought it had (there was a notification that I could return iTunes to the update list), but on the next update, the same version of iTunes I had denied permission to update was back.

Perhaps there's an option somewhere that I didn't toggle?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It works, Apple released a new version of iTunes recently that had a different version number so it got through the ignore.

7. sandrew26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have updates set to daily, and have been placing it on the ignore list daily for a month now. Surely iTunes isn't updating daily as well? The version number hasn't appeared to change. I've only tracked the version number for a few days.

Thanks for coming back to help =)

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not sure why I isn't sticking for you. Try this, let Software Update check, once it's done checking looking in its menu at the top. In one of them is Reset Ignored Items. Click that and let it check again. Then tell it to ignore iTunes. Quit Software Update and relaunch it and have it check for updates. iTunes should not reappear.

9. sandrew26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmn. I followed your directions exactly, but iTunes 10.6.3 re-appeared in the list of available updates again.

It also re-appeared when I added it to the ignore list, then didn't reset the ignored updates, quit, and restarted.

EDIT: tried it a second time to make certain that I followed the directions correctly, but it still re-appeared.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not sure what else to do. It sounds like a Software Update bug or a permissions problem.

11. sandrew26, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

sandrew26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thank you for the help regardless; I appreciate it. I'll poke around the apple website for a support ticket system or something (my usual apple store is 8 hours away by automobile, and the nearest is 2 hours, so I can't go in for help). I hope they're not too mad that I don't want to update iTunes XD

EDIT: Maybe I'll try repairing the permissions on my disk.
    EDIT2: After repairing all permissions (some java things, and font things), software updater showed "no updates available" on first launch, but after quitting and launching it again, iTunes re-appeared. I tried following the steps above (reset list, etc), but it did not work. Oh well.