Stop Mail Retreiving All Emails

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sheppy1, Aug 25, 2010.

1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hi guys, does anyone know how to stop Mail from retrieving all of my emails, basically when I set it up it always starts to retrieve all of my emails from my Gmail account, I probably wouldn't mind but I have about 30,000 emails and that takes up a lot of space

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Go into Mail Preferences>Accounts>Advanced and try unticking "Include when automatically checking for new messages".

3. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

That appears to have worked so thank yoooouuuuu :D

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I haven't tried that, but wouldn't that just prevent any email from coming in, including new ones?

My Mail is set up so that when I delete a message in Mail, it just marks it archived on Gmail. I went ahead and archived all my old stuff before setting Mail up with Gmail, though. That way I only keep recent/important stuff in Mail, but still have access to everything through Gmail's web interface.

5. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

To be honest I have no idea how my account is set up anymore, it's an absolute mess, like sometimes when I delete messages from mail it archives them on my actual Gmail account, other times it does nothing, sometimes Mail will try to retrieve all 30,000 emails, sometimes it won't, I just need to start again, only problem is, is that when I delete all my messages from Mail in an attempt to start from scratch it moves them all the the "Bin" folder in my actual Gmail account...as I say it's a mess and I'm lost with it all now, think I'll just give up on it now and manage emails on my iPhone as I have been doing for the last 3 years, never had any problems with doing it that way

6. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Ok so I thought I'd give it another blast, I deleted my current account from within Mail and set it all up again, watched a few YouTube videos, come back to Mail and see that it's downloading 43000 of 86000 emails lol...I give up with it

Edit: I realised what the problem was, it's an issue with IMAP and Gmail, well it might not be an issue but I just don't like using IMAP, I was able to setup my Gmail account through Mac Mail using POP instead and all is good now, it only retrieves new messages now which is the way I wanted it