Stop MBP from disconnecting wireless on sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcwiz, Jul 21, 2009.

1. pcwiz macrumors member

I notice that every time I close the lid on my MBP the machine goes to sleep, and the wireless connection disconnects. Is there any way to stop this behaviour so I can say download large files and such even while the lid is closed?

Thanks

2. belvdr macrumors 603

If the machine sleeps, the OS is not active, thus the connection will be dropped. There's no way to change that. It's similar to asking the wireless connection to remain active while the machine is off.

What I recommend is putting the display to sleep, which you can do in the Display preferences.

3. miiles macrumors regular

It's not possible, but you could just put the display to sleep with SHIFT+CONTROL+EJECT and leave it open.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

It's not possible, and running any Mac laptop in clamshell mode is fully supported by Apple and will not harm your machine.

5. miiles macrumors regular

Good to know on both counts. Sorry about that.

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

Generally speaking it's fine to run an MBP with the lid closed- the catch is that you have to have it plugged into an external monitor for that to work. Otherwise, closing the lid means the computer is asleep and therefore not able to actually do anything. The best the OP can do is put the display to sleep (SHIFT+CONTROL+EJECT) if he wants it to continue downloading in the background while he's not using the computer.

7. miiles macrumors regular

Sorrrrrrry. I'll edit my post.

8. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Take a look at InsomniaX

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30315

9. pcwiz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies :) The shift control eject to just put the display to sleep would be fine I think, but I'm gonna give InsomniaX a try, as it looks like exactly what I'm looking for

EDIT: InsomniaX works perfectly :D

10. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

My wifes MBP and before that her MB did the same, what I found funny it only happened under her user account, and when we transfered the user account to MBP it started happening too.

I guess there is something in her profile that caused this.