Stop me before I buy a Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fxstb2002, Aug 19, 2008.

1. fxstb2002 macrumors member

So, I am considering just going ahead and getting a current Macbook Pro 15in. I have been authorized at work to just go ahead and get whatever I need as far as a new computer goes. And really, anything goes.

I would be using it with CS3 (mostly Photoshop, as I am starting to sub out my InDesign work.), OpenOffice (to be compatible with our Windows users who have already switched to OOo), Aperture and Final Cut Express. The rest of my work is mostly internet research, and we use Zimbra for email and calendaring, so that will not be a problem.

Now for my question ... is it worth it to go ahead and get the 2.6 processor, and will I notice it with Photoshop and FCE? I am going to upgrade the HD to a 7200 rpm drive and RAM to 4 GB as well. I would get the 2.5 if the 2.6 is not going to make much of a difference.

I will probably go ahead and do this, as I cannot think of anything that could be added in the next revision that would be of benefit to me except for support for more RAM, which would be beneficial when rendering, however, most of the stuff I will be doing with be creation of stuff for the web.

Thanks.

2. isianto macrumors regular

If you have budget (and you do, if I'm not misunderstanding you), and because of your software requirement (Photoshop, aperture, and FCE), get the 2.6. It's wort it in my opinion. Definitely worth it.

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

You are not going to notice a difference between the 2.5 and 2.6. The only way going to 2.6 would be worth it is if you are doing a lot of processor intensive stuff continuously. The only example I can think of at the moment is 3d rendering. It needs every bit of power you can throw at it. If you were doing a long render, the 2.6 might shave a minute per frame and that would start to add up if you were rendering a lot of frames. Of course, if you are doing that kind of work, you're better off with a desktop. The price for the upgrade to 2.6 makes it not worth it unless you need the power and have the money to burn.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Nicely put. I don't think you'll benefit much by going to the 2.6. If you're working within a budget, use whatever you don't spend on the 2.6 upgrade towards extras. It's great that your employer is picking up the tab so use the money wisely and get the most you can get in terms of add-ons.

I think having a portable is best because you'll be able to take it wherever you go. A desktop has to stay at the office.

6. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

Even if it doesn't make much of a difference, the 2.6 will make some difference, and if your employer is picking up the check, what's the harm?

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If anything goes as you say, then I'd be ordering a 3.2ghz Octo Core Mac Pro.

Seriously though, if the employer is paying, completely max the mother out, and buy the Apple RAM as well as it is tested to a high specification to be compatible with some of RAM caching (sorry thats the wrong word) features in Final Cut which not all third party RAM is.

8. macdot macrumors 6502

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only difference between the 2.5 and the 2.6 is processor speed, which is completely unnoticeable. You're talking about a 4% difference in speed which translates to maybe 1% real-world performance. It's not worth the $250 extra they charge. Just because your employer is paying the bill, doesn't mean you should waste money on something you'll never use. I could have bought any configuration I wanted and you see in my signature what I chose. Not a single regret!

10. fxstb2002 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies on the 2.6. I think I will just stick with the 2.5.

As far as a desktop goes, not interested. I would prefer to do most of my work out of the the office. I can get more done on the road than I can sitting at my desk.

Is there anything that is missing in the current MBP that there is a high likelyhood that it will be in the next revision that would help me with the types of things that I am working on? I could wait, but I do not really want to wait. The reason being is that we are making some changes to our business model that will be taking effect next month, and I want to be able to hit the ground running. It would give me time to learn the Mac way since I have never really used a Mac.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Man the 2.6GHz so fast. I can spend half second less when I encode videos.

No not really--not worth it!

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Quad Core might make it to the next Macbook Pro. Although likely at a significantly lower clock speed to keep the power consumption and heat down.