Stop menu items opening at start up.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DannyBres, Feb 7, 2009.

1. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

When my Mac boots it opens load of apps in my menu bar (InsomniaX, iAlertU, LogMeIn, EverNote) this is annoying, uses memory (probably) and it makes it look cluttered how do i stop them from loading.

I have checked the preferences in each app and there is nothing there and there is nothing in Login items in accounts in system prefs.

Can anyone help thanks.

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> Your account -> Login Items

You can remove items from there. Be aware that if the program does have a preference for it, then the next time it starts, it could add it back.

EDIT: Sorry.....read your post too fast. Nevermind this post. No idea why those items would be showing up at login, if they are not in the Login items.

-Kevin

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

He already checked, and its not applications on login, its menu bar items in the upper right corner of the screen near the clock and Spotlight. I know how to remove the menu bar icons completely but that might disable the functionality tied with those items. Typically to remove a menu bar icon, all you need to do is hold down the :apple: key on the keyboard and drag it off the menu bar.

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Check each application with a menu bar item's preferences. Usually they have a check box that makes them start on login which doesn't always show up in System Preferences.

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Don't forget to check /System/Library/StartupItems and /Library/StartupItems for anything odd.