Stop Motion Animation App

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hi,

Please can someone recommend an open-source, freeware or donationware (preferably open-source) stop motion animation app for the Mac?

Thanks.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Hi,

Please can someone recommend an open-source, freeware or donationware (preferably open-source) stop motion animation app for the Mac?

Thanks.
I did this two ways in my life...

1. Camera and tripod. Press record, pause, move object, press record, pause, move object, and repeat. lol

2. Shot it and moved it every second or so, then just re-cut it in an editor, if you don't have Final Cut, you could use iMovie.

Yes it takes awhile to do, but I do a lot of things frame by frame. I guess I am just use to it. lol

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
I did this two ways in my life...

1. Camera and tripod. Press record, pause, move object, press record, pause, move object, and repeat. lol

2. Shot it and moved it every second or so, then just re-cut it in an editor, if you don't have Final Cut, you could use iMovie.

Yes it takes awhile to do, but I do a lot of things frame by frame. I guess I am just use to it. lol
Thanks, but I need an App.

Flapjak

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
Thanks for that although I was thinking of getting it.

I was hoping there was a freeware or open-source alternative though.
I searched for a year for something free and I never found anything. Until about 2-3 months ago I used iMovie and took pics with my webcam which were saved automatically to my desktop. Then I imported them to iPhoto, then I would import media into iMovie and set the picture showing time o 0.03 seconds (the lowest poss just by clicking and dragging the lever). That way works OK as a free alternative. Now, however, I use iStopmotion Express. the cheapest version is $50 I think. It save a lot of time and is worth the money. Another option, which is cheaper, is FrameThief which is quite good too. I think you can buy that for $30. There is also iCanAnimate which is about $50 but this one runs differently (you may prefer it but I don't) All (in the end) produce animations. iMovie would still be needed to complete some final editing etc. All can have trial downloads so maybe try them out see what they are like.

Hope this helped.:)

EDIT:- Sorry I didn't realise how much I had bumped this and this may, by now, be completely useless.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
I searched for a year for something free and I never found anything. Until about 2-3 months ago I used iMovie and took pics with my webcam which were saved automatically to my desktop. Then I imported them to iPhoto, then I would import media into iMovie and set the picture showing time o 0.03 seconds (the lowest poss just by clicking and dragging the lever). That way works OK as a free alternative. Now, however, I use iStopmotion Express. the cheapest version is $50 I think. It save a lot of time and is worth the money. Another option, which is cheaper, is FrameThief which is quite good too. I think you can buy that for $30. There is also iCanAnimate which is about $50 but this one runs differently (you may prefer it but I don't) All (in the end) produce animations. iMovie would still be needed to complete some final editing etc. All can have trial downloads so maybe try them out see what they are like.

Hope this helped.:)

EDIT:- Sorry I didn't realise how much I had bumped this and this may, by now, be completely useless.
Thanks for the info. :) However, I bought the MacHeist bundle and that had iStopMotion in ti.

xizar

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
Framebyframe? It's free.

When I was screwing around with the starwars opening sequence maker, I just ground all the pics together in imovie. When you export through quicktime, it lets you set the fps for it.

opsGordon

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Smoovie is the new kid on the block for Stop Motion on Snow Leopard. Simple and fun.

http://smoovie-app.com

There's a free trial which is full featured with all output being watermarked. Full version is only $29.