Stop motion editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by krishj17, Oct 20, 2010.

1. krishj17 macrumors newbie

I have already shot my stop motion and dont have the luxury of re-shooting using a stop motion software. What is the best way to edit it? Neither FCP nor iMovie seem efficient enough. From the two though, which is better?

2. bogiesan macrumors newbie

You shot it without knowing how you would post it? That bizarre issue aside, what do you mean FCP is not "efficient?" Post-production of stop motion is a well-documented and widely used practice in FCP, easily researched online at dozens of forums and tutorial sites. But one does need to plan ahead. Are you using properly numbered jpgs?

bogiesan

3. krishj17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your short and unnecessarily rude reply. to answer your questions, yes I have numbered the jpegs and i shot it with the idea of editing on FCP but its a little harder than i thought. I have 1879 pictures and it isnt very quick is what i mean by not efficient.

tell me what to do.

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Take a look at iStopMotion.

Never used it myself but people who have seem to like it.

5. jdesign macrumors member

What did you mean by not efficient enough? ( what are you trying to do? )

I used the older quicktime 7.xx to create jpgs sequence into a mov file, then import it to finalcut for editing.

would probably work too with newer quicktime, but the comp i'm using at the moment don't have the new version.

6. krishj17 thread starter macrumors newbie

taking a look at istopmotion right now.. thank you!

the quicktime idea sounds good..!

thank you for your replies :)

7. Wakakanada macrumors regular

For ultra basic [and cheap] Smoovie is the newest entry, I think. I'm trying it now and will then try iStopMotion.

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

There was nothing rude about his response. Stop motion is pretty basic nonlinear editing. And less than 2,000 images is a pretty small amount to manage. That's about two and a half minutes, if you're giving every image a 2 frame duration on a 24p timeline. Sounds like google would be your friend, rather that someone "telling you what to do."

9. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Yep, open sequence of images in Quicktime 7.

Not sure how that was a rude response, seemed you overlooked a pretty big part of the workflow...

You should look into iStopmotion in the future, though, you'll never know how you lived with onion skinning, heh.

10. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

You can also have a look at Frame by Frame which is a free stop motion software, abeit not as feature rich as iStopmotion.

11. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Also, here's a workflow I use when doing stop motion in FCP:

- Open FCP
    - Click on "Final Cut Pro" next to the apple in the left corner
    - Click on "User Preferences"
    - Click on the "Editing" tab
    - Change "Still/Freeze Duration" to 00:00:00:03
    - Import photos into Browser
    - Select all your photos and drag them into the timeline.
    - Voila.

12. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Interesting info. I jsut finished making a stop motion video of comparable size (a little under 2k images) in imovie last night. I jsut put all my edited jpegs in an iphoto album and dragged them into imovie. Pretty easy actually! Good luck with your project!

13. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

14. Wakakanada macrumors regular

I have iMovie '08 and cannot figure out a way to get the fps faster than 2. A far cry from 24 fps. Are you using iMovie 11, or is there a way to get iMovie '08 to animate a series of images?

15. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

^This.

16. jrm27 macrumors 6502

i think I'musing imovie 8... i'll have to check it out later as it is on a different computer. All we did was drag the photo files in from iphoto. Then you can double click on one of the pictures and set the display duration. I think you can go all the way down to a tenth of a second... That worked for us, because 10fps is really all we needed.

17. Wakakanada, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

Wakakanada macrumors regular

Thanks for the "set duration" suggestion, when I tried before I tried the "photo duration" slider from the iMovie/Preferences drop down which only goes down to 1 per second, and the slider underneath the thumbnails which goes down to 1/2 second. Now a third option which you suggest. I couldn't get anything on a double click, but a right click gave me the set duration option, but it appears to only go to 0.2 seconds rather than 0.1 seconds. But that is pretty good for basic animation as you mentioned...I think I'll end up buying iStopMotion for the more complete animation abilities. I tried Smoovie which is cheap and great for very basic compiling of image sequences, which is what I was originally after, but as they say, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and I think my little knowledge is telling me to spend more money!

18. xStep, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

xStep macrumors 68000

The thing about iStopMotion is that to get HD output capability, you have to buy the much more expensive Pro version at $499. At that kind of cost you should also compare it against Dragon Stop Motion which is $275.

P.S. How was the snow today?

19. xStep macrumors 68000

The best I've been able to set that at is 0:05. That represents seconds and frame count, so 6 frames (or images) a second give a 30 fps rate, or 0.1666 second per frame. I'm using iMovie 09.