stop notifications in-app

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iVB, Feb 6, 2015.

1. iVB macrumors member

How do I stop notifications while I am in a certain App.

E.g. While I am playing Clash of Clans game, I don't want to receive any notifications (except for phone calls). It is very important because in certain apps I am comfortable not to receive any annoying notifications that are much less important than the thing I do.

How can I achieve that (If it is achievable)? [even without the exception part].

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can't AFAIK, you can turn off notifications on a per app basis, but you cannot disable all notifications while running a certain app.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Use Control Center to turn on do not disturb?

4. iVB thread starter macrumors member

Everytime? Not even close to practical, alas :)

I want it set without me having to turn something on and off each and every time.

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Unless there is a jailbreak tweak, using dnd is your only option.

6. aicul macrumors 6502a

The whole concept of notifications is to notify you whatever you may be doing.

The proposed "do not disturb" is equivalent to saying "i want to sleep"

What you seek is actually having the developpers who write apps stop this nonesense of pointless notifications.

And the go around for that is to disable notifications on each individual app.

Im afraid you are asking a pertinent need but looking for a wrong solution

7. iVB thread starter macrumors member

How did you reach that conclusion?

I (DO) want notifications, they are not "nonsense". I Just do not want them to work while I am using a certain app.

8. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yes turn on do not disturb. It is not hard to swipe up from the bottom of the screen and enable it before you launch the app. You can even still set it to ring through on phone calls.

9. iVB thread starter macrumors member

Is there? Anyone?

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's not automatic (although you can set DND to work on a schedule), but it's closer to practical than being completely far from it. You go to watch something or play something, turn it on, and then turn it off when you are done. It's part of the reason why it's there.

Sure, some sort of automatic way would be even better of course, but that's somewhat more complex and specific functionality. Perhaps a jailbreak tweak might be there for something like that, as some have mentioned (might be worth it to check the jailbreak forum for that), but that's pretty much it.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Nope. DND is the option.

12. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

All you can do is turn on do not disturb and allow for phone calls in the settings.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Just a quick note that DND as a workaround is slightly more annoying if you normally have it set up to only be active when your phone is locked, as then it's not just a case of using CC to turn on DND for a particular app but also going into Settings app etc. It's still a valid workaround though

14. iVB thread starter macrumors member

not only that, but I want to have the freedom of switch around between apps and not to bother to turn DND on with each and every switch between apps!! I guess I just can't do it; Alas.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Seriously, do not disturb is the right solution and it's easily accessible. I can't understand your problem.

16. iVB thread starter macrumors member

That DND blocks calls? (And no, I don't want to select to receive call while on DND, because it will demolish the purpose I use it for [while sleeping])

17. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Yeah

Attached Files:

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

19. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I don't mind notifications, but I wish the notification banner would be less jarring and intrusive.

For example, when I am in an app, the notification shade slides down and practically obscures everything on the top of the app. So if I am in the photos app, I can't access the edit button. I have to dismiss the notification first.

It's even worse on an iPad in landscape mode, because the black shade covers the entire top part of the screen, even though the actual message itself is quite small. So if I am playing a game like Battleheart Legacy, suddenly, I can't see my health bar!

I actually prefer the ios6 notification, where it was just a small banner which rolled in and out lazily. The current one just slides down (quite rudely too).

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Roll over slide makes that much of a difference?

21. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

For me, yes, Especially since that banner took up just the middle of the screen, and you can still make out what is on the screen. It just felt more pleasing aesthetically to me.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you talking about alerts since those were in the middle of the screen and somewhat transparent but they would just pop up and completely interrupt what you were doing until you dealt with them.

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

No, the banner notifications. The ones that slide down from the top of the screen.

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

DND blocks calls.

25. iVB thread starter macrumors member

got me