Stop OpenSSH Running at Startup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sheppy1, Aug 14, 2010.

1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hi guys, I use OpenSSH every so often so I'd like to have it on my phone for whenever i may need to activate it, so I disable it via SBSettings but whenever I reboot my phone OpenSSH starts up again and sits there draining battery until I remember to disable it again, is there anyway to stop it from enabling itself on a system reboot? At the moment I have to keep installing it and uninstalling it whenever I need to use it

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Not that I have found. Ironically, I'm sure there's a way to toggle it to perma-off in SSH somehow, I just haven't found out how. I just remind myself to disable it when rebooting.

3. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

First off openSSH uses no battery, it's a daemon that sits idle using no processor cycles until it gets a knock on port 22. Try a controlled test, you'll see it uses no battery when not in use. Saying that, it's still a good idea to close it when not in use for security reasons

Secondly, SSH switching on on phone startup is by design. If you were to ever mess your phone up and get stuck in the endless boot cycle or stuck on the Apple logo you'd have a window open to SSH in and remove the offending program. Without this feature you'd be out of luck and need an entire restore. I don't think it's possible to stop this behaviour, but like I said you really don't want to as it'll save you headache in the future.

4. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

+10 ;)

5. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I dont know where people got the idea that OpenSSH drains battery. IT DOESNT!

6. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

There's certainly a benefit in having it turn on at the start up. I've read about people benefiting by SSH being on so they could stop their phone from rebooting over and over, etc. But what if you don't have wifi enabled at the time? How to you get into the phone? Would you use terminal on your computer to somehow access the iPhone's files?

I SSH with Cyberduck and I'm not familiar with other ways.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like mentioned above you cant disable it cause it loads up each time at restart or respring.
    Either remember to turn it off thru sbsettings or leave it alone.
    It doesnt drain any battery or resources.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As stated, OpenSSH uses no battery.
    And if you are foolish enough to disable it, you will be cursing yourself thoroughly when it is the single only option to avoid a restore. I know, I have been there and used OpenSSH to avoid a restore.
    Change your root and mobile passwords and there is no security issue leaving it enabled.

9. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

OK Guys thanks for the replies, I was under the impression that it somehow drained battery life, now that I know that it doesn't I shall install it and leave it on, thanks again guys :D

10. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

At the extreme, you can do more than just changing the root and mobile passwords.

You can use a RSA key and lock out passwords completely. This ensures that someone can't brute force your root/mobile PW from remote.

You can disable the root user from remote and use a tool like sudo to make it easy to get root from the mobile user account.