Stop Preview from automatically saving

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've recently upgraded from 10.6 to 10.7 and I'm having an issue with Preview. I've just opened some JPEGs, resized them (because the originals are huge), and used File > Export (which seems to have been renamed from Save As) to save the resized copies. However, the original files are now small too! It looks like Preview is automatically saving to the originals, because I didn't manually save them and it didn't prompt me to save when I quit Preview.

I can't find anything in the preferences for this. How can I stop Preview from automatically saving?

2. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

You can't. It sucks.

The alternative workflows are:

1) Duplicate, resize, save, put in name, close both files
    2) Resize, export, revert.

If you revert before closing then you don't have to go through the stupid Versions animation. I ended up assigning a shortcut to "Revert" and use that will all my files.

Overall, you can't work with Versions, but the lack of the lack of control is more annoying then helpful.

3. Nermal, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Seriously? That sounds like a huge oversight and I can't believe that it hasn't been fixed as of 10.7.3. Does anyone know whether it's been resolved in 10.8?

Edit: I was so shocked that I forgot to thank you for your response, so thanks :). I'll need to remember to duplicate files before I resize them.

Edit 2: I've logged it as a bug, so hopefully a preference will be added in a future update.

Edit 3: Aaand the old (10.6.8) version of Preview crashes immediately on 10.7.3 so I can't even use that in the meantime.