Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Okay. Curious as to why we're having this sort of discussion on an Apple forum, but aight.
Because the OP created a thread complaining about SE pricing?

You didn't have to reply to a thread that was over a month old if you didn't want to discuss it.

Last edited:
Reactions: na1577

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
I'd say 6 pages sounds budget.. but it can be subjective.

have we compared it to the android forums though?

I'm betting they have many conversations both much smaller and much larger than this one.

And we can't have a good Macrumors discussion without bringing up Windows or Android!

Reactions: macintoshmac

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I’m not sure why the OP is creating an unjustified tantrum. USD 400 ~= CAD 550

The price in Canada is CAD 600. That’s within 10% of US pricing.

Besides, if you look at the iPhone 11 series, it will bring you some perspective.

It isn’t a budget smartphone. It’s a budget iPhone. Meant for the vast majority of people in countries like USA and CA.

And no, it isn’t more expensive in Canada. It’s basically very similarly priced in both USA and CA. In India it is USD 550+ inc taxes and I think that isn’t too bad. And there was a time the XR cost less than this in India due to eCommerce discounting.

Reactions: rui no onna

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
It’s not like it’s called a ‘budget iPhone’ anywhere except a tech forum anyway. Not worth worrying about in my opinion. If people want to belittle people by suggesting their phone is budget, then that’s their insecurity at the end of the day.

Do people actually go around pointing out the lower-end iPhone in Apple's lineup and ridicule the owner for not being able, or not choosing, to spend more?

Is that a thing that happens?

And if it's belittling someone to mention they have a budget phone, is telling people they have the higher-end iPhone Pro a compliment?

Reactions: stinkhorn9

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Do people actually go around pointing out the lower-end iPhone in Apple's lineup and ridicule the owner for not being able, or not choosing, to spend more?

And if it's belittling someone to mention they have a budget phone, is telling people they have the higher-end iPhone Pro a compliment?

I’ve never encountered it in day to day life but have seen it on this forum on numerous occasions. There is also plenty with top of the range iPhones who get very insecure when those with mid tier models voice their pleasure in owning them. Almost like it’s keeping them in check and not to forget there are more expensive models available. We’ve also had a few who suggest an iPhone can make others think you are wealthy and successful even if you are not. It is the Internet I suppose..

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
I’ve never encountered it in day to day life but have seen it on this forum on numerous occasions. There is also plenty with top of the range iPhones who get very insecure when those with mid tier models voice their pleasure in owning them. Almost like it’s keeping them in check and not to forget there are more expensive models available. We’ve also had a few who suggest an iPhone can make others think you are wealthy and successful even if you are not. It is the Internet I suppose..
At the beginning of 2020 I was still using a £30 Nokia dumb phone. I’ll admit to getting swept along with the whole apple fan boy thing once I finally made the agonisingly slow decision to buy a new smart phone - but ultimately, nothing the 11 - or anything subsequently - will be of any use to me. The price or tech spec of your gadget shouldn’t matter one jot to you in terms of status symbol - maybe unless you’re a teenager...

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida

I’m a middle school teacher, and it sure matters to them. However, if you’re not 12-14 years old, then no, it shouldn’t matter. A phone is a tool that gets a job done. I’ve used an original SE as my phone at school for years, and the kids would comment on how small it was. I just got myself the new SE to replace it, and I’m sure they’ll comment on the same things. However, not being 12, I laugh it off :)

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Call it what you will, I would rather have an SE than something from the competition. I bought one for my better half, but after playing with it I don’t think I would get one for myself. I would go a step or two up. I am actually ok with my XSM after using her phone.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
I don’t remember any iPhone sold by Apple brand new being $399 apart from the SE, and those before it. The fact that everything in the world has become more expensive, for Apple to sell the new SE for the same price it did with the old one in 2016 but with much better tech, is a great deal.

^^Hahahaha
Name an iPhone prior to the X that ever sold for $399 or less without a carrier subsidy. Hint: Except the first SE there isn't one and you'd have to go back to the 3GS to even find a subsidized iPhone under $400.

I'm sorry, I was confused once again by the bull****, dishonest American before-tax pricing. Let me bring up my spreadsheet while we're looking at prices.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No offense to anyone, but who cares what you do for a living and what phone you use. Not one person in this thread cares about what someone makes annually, what you do for a living or anything of that nature, everyone here is a ‘digital stranger‘ that uses their own preference of a smart phone, rather it be the most expensive iPhone or the entry-level iPhone SE, it’s a smart phone and it determines nothing at the end of the day of one persons choice. I think this thread is plenty exhausted at this point.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm sorry, I was confused once again by the bull****, dishonest American before-tax pricing. Let me bring up my spreadsheet while we're looking at prices.
In all fairness, that's likely because the US doesn't have a universal VAT rate.

Even in the same state, sales tax may vary from city to city. In California, for example, San Francisco is 8.5% and Los Angeles 9.5%. Lowest sales tax rate in the state is 7.25%, highest is 10.25%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.